8 yr old cycles 8 miles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

striker

Well done, as people have said its amazing what kids can do. My 8 yr old recently did three days on the south downs way doing about 15-18 miles a day.
It was tiring especially up some of the hills, as it was raining, but he loved it. (especially the down hill bits)

User1314 said:
Took the 8 year old for his first "proper" bike ride today. Did a circuit of Richmond Park on the dirt-track, him on a heavy, wide tyred, susp MTB. Not far short of 8 miles, I'd say.

He made it 3/4s the way up that steep hill past Robin Hood gate going clockwise. Said his thighs were burning.

Knackered he was by the time we made it back to the car-park.

Really proud of him. Get him a lighter bike he'll be whizzing around.
Well done to the lad :evil:. I think I only took the stabilisers off :biggrin: many moons ago when I was 7 or 8; I inherited my older brother's chopper after my birdy was nicked. Not like this kid he done the same 55 mile Pedal for Scotland ride that we did the other month and he was only 5.:smile:

wafflycat

By the time Wafflycat Minor was seven, he'd walked several long distance paths - Norfolk Coastal Path + Peddars Way (93 miles), Nar Valley Way (34 miles), Fen Rivers Way (50 miles). Every weekend we were out doing a 10-12 mile walk each day and during the school holidays we were out most days doing at least a 7-mile walk. His first pair of walking boots - I couldn't get 'proper' boots small enough, so I bought the stoutest leather boots I could buy in his size and rubbed nikwax into them to proof them. I made him waterproof overtrousers from Goretex fabric, as I couldn't get decent ones in his size. I even taped the seams to make them properly waterproof! I could buy a breathable waterproof jacket, but not the rest of the kit, so the rest I made from scratch for him.

atbman

Veteran
You don't know what you're letting yourself in for, my friend.

Young Billy (aka The Wizz) in our club, did the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride at 8, Wetherby-Filey 70 miles. He did flag a bit in the last 10 miles, tho'.

He also did La Marmotte in '07 in 1hr. 20 minutes, age 11. Which was 5 minutes faster than 2 senior members of a Huddersfield club ;o)

'Orrible child.

We're a Go-Ride club, by the way and we answer all enquiries - phone/email/letter/man in loincloth with message in a cleft stick.

Oh, by the way, Islabikes, Islabikes, Islabikes, Islabikes.

Did I mention Islabikes?

Good luck and welcome to the world of seeing kids' delight in riding a bike.

Do enquire about a second mortgage, tho'. There'll be 'cross bikes, mountain bikes, road bikes, bmx, track bikes and .....

(Every other year or so, although my cousin did grow 13" in one year. thank goodness his hobby was playing the flute)

Top Bottom