A metric century forum ride: Harrogate, Lofthouse, Masham. RAIN STOPPED PLAY [Slight change to route].

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And, I am nursing a sore throat... It isn't a big problem at the moment but anything could happen in 3 days!

I will take it easy until the weekend to try to avoid aggravating it.

I tried cycling up Trapping Hill once when suffering with a cold. It did NOT feel good!

I went out on Friday and did a 50 km ride with only 800 m of climbing and felt that I couldn't have done much more. Yesterday, I rode 10 km from Pateley Bridge to Lofthouse and tried riding up the steep climb there. I only managed 200 m of the 1.2 km [steepest bit]! The headwind riding back up the valley to the car exhausted me. I have been coughing and spluttering since I got home.
Watch this space!

Mike_P

Guru
Although a climb beyond me the wind direction looks right for Trapping Hill. South from Masham less so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Although a climb beyond me the wind direction looks right for Trapping Hill. South from Masham less som
Yes, I was thinking that too!

The terrain isn't too bad after Masham though so we should be ok as long as we don't get soaked along there.

We should have mild conditions so it wouldn't be the end of the world if we did get very wet, but it will probably take me 2 - 3 hours to get back from Harrogate and I'd rather not be sodden for that journey...

Mike_P

Guru
If the wind is bad heading south a bit of climbing (75ft) can be discounted by going through Aldfield which takes you pass the west gate entrance to Fountains Abbey so a bit of added historic interest - the blue route 3.57miles v the planned purple route 4.16 miles
1689186601984.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

If the wind is bad heading south a bit of climbing (75ft) can be discounted by going through Aldfield which takes you pass the west gate entrance to Fountains Abbey so a bit of added historic interest - the blue route 3.57miles v the planned purple route 4.16 miles
View attachment 698546
That looks like a sensible alternative, avoiding unnecessary extra ups and downs - THANKS.

Harrogate ride shortcut profile.png

It would leave us almost 1 km short of a metric century but I will be doing an extra 16 km to and from Hebden Bridge so I'm not bothered by that. I have amended the route file, and attached the new one below (and in the original post)

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Harrogate_Lofthouse_2023_99_km.gpx
    169.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm still available but the weather does look dire, both rain (50%+) and the wind for return leg will be nasty.
Go on - you know you want to... Hopefully, it will turn out be more 'disappointing' than 'dire'! :whistle:

I'll be arriving by car. So if any of you train commuters want to leave a spare set of dry clothing in my vehicle, you're more than welcome.
It's nice of you to offer but I would still have to cart it back and forth at this end so I think that I will make do with my light rain jacket. I am instructing the weather gods to be gentle on us...

Mike_P

Guru
That looks like a sensible alternative, avoiding unnecessary extra ups and downs - THANKS.

View attachment 698581
It would leave us almost 1 km short of a metric century but I will be doing an extra 16 km to and from Hebden Bridge so I'm not bothered by that. I have amended the route file, and attached the new one below (and in the original post)

GPX viewer

It also takes you pretty close to Fountains Abbey visitor centre - loos freely accessible as wel as a cafe I think.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am instructing the weather gods to be gentle on us...
I just checked the latest forecasts... I don’t think those gods are listening!

It also takes you pretty close to Fountains Abbey visitor centre - loos freely accessible as wel as a cafe I think.
A.K.A. 'storm shelters'!

I think that the extra shortcut through Fearby to Masham might be used...We would still get 80+ km (50+ miles) in.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Unless the weather improves hugely I'll not be riding, I really don't fancy thunderstorm/showers even in summer 😞
I must admit that the current thunderstorm risk (forgive the pun! :laugh:) bothers me too... The forecasts keep changing to exclude thunderstorms, then include them again.

Let's check the forecasts again at 6 PM tomorrow evening by which time they should be pretty accurate.

If we go ahead, let's take the shortcut through Fearby. That would reduce the distance to 86 km (54 miles). GPX attached.

If we postpone, I'll find another Saturday later in the year and we can try again.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Harrogate_Lofthouse_2023_86_km.gpx
    142.6 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

No worries, we can agree on a new date.

FYI, in case someone is a masochist like me: I am still doing the ride tomorrow. Original 102km route, earlier start - 7am.
It will be interesting to hear how you get on... If you have a good day then I will regret calling the official ride off. If you have a BAD day, then I'll feel sorry for you but be grateful that I hadn't been there with you! :whistle:

Watch out for thunderstorms... I was just telling my friend Carrie what happened to a young man round the corner from my sister... :eek:

Now that I will no longer have to get up at 05:30 tomorrow I can try to get a decent night's sleep.

Top Bottom