A Personal Message to Critical Mass.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
MajorMantra said:
Yep. Witness the reaction to CM in NY. A quote from Bikesnobnyc:

What a bunch of idiots.

Matthew

To me it sounds like a stupid judge, not stupid cyclists.

I've been on 2 critical masses. Loved the first, hated the second. First one was on a lovely day, around the centre of London. Got to see lots of great sights...without really having to worry about my safety much (compared to if I was cycling lone around London). The leisurely average pace of about 3mph, was sometimes a bit tough....even on my road bike...so did have to stop and cheer in the middle of some junctions :biggrin:

The second one...wasn't as nice a day (it really started pissing it down), there weren't as many people and it was going out of London. I tailed off early as I felt we were just causing a nuisance that night and wasn't really enjoying it.

I'm planning on going up this month, I've nothing to do that Friday so I'm going to cycle up during the day...pop off for a Kebab Kid...then maybe have a spin around London....get lost a few times....then do CM.

If it's around the centre of London, a nice day and enough people are coming then it should be good fun :smile:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
GregCollins said:
intravenous heroin use, blood doping, incest, anabolic steroids, spousal abuse, etc., etc..

:biggrin:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I'll add some more now I've thought about it.

In 2008 we had our only CM rally down here in Southampton that I know of. It was following the deaths of a guy on the Itchen Bridge and a lad walking his bike across the road in Millbrook iirc.

6 people turned up. Perhaps it was short notice, perhaps there isnt that kind of interest down here. I didnt go but knew someone who did, and it was reported in the local paper as a poor turnout.

With regards drivers deliberately offing people. Have seen it plenty of times on youtube. These t*ssers have been waiting for a excuse to do it imo. They then use the pyschological "victim tactic" that BNP and football hooligans use to show justification after they've just mauled someone. Unfortunately this then gets banded about that this violence was a response, rather than an attack and it helps spread the myths of cyclists.:biggrin:

We need a mainstreaming device. Something that will show people it is safe on the whole, it is fun and it keeps the weight off even when you barely turn the pedals. Drivers have done this by (unconsciously) including driving in everyday converse. We could do the same.

How many times have you heard some one reply to "what did you do at the weekend?" "..oh I had to take a drive out to blah blah to pick up xyz.."

Well what did you do this weekend? :smile: Deliberately include "cycled" and "cycling" in a conversation...?

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
Hyper-vocal, aggressive, rebellious, hairy, unwashed, unloved, Neanderthal, fellow pedalers.

I have dithered over replying to this for half a day and now decided to chip in my pennies-worth.

I am in complete agreement with those who deprecate this ludicrous, counterproductive, moronic, activity. It is a death wish for those of us who enjoy cycling as a healthy, gentle, pastime. It winds up other perfectly decent road users who will, in future, be less inclined to treat us with the courtesy that they might have previously been inclined to.

I first encountered a critical mass style demo driving to work in a van one morning, outside the Palace of Westminster, many years ago. The first I new of it, as I inched forward in a queue of traffic was when some snarling, abusive, twerp on a bike, amongst a throng of snarling, abusive, twerps on bikes, was screaming through my open window about how I was personally ruining the planet and his right to be on it. He and they then turned right, illegally, and headed off up Whitehall yelling and screaming at anyone else they could get close to. This was years before the days of the current CM movement but clearly had the same sort of aims and was filled by the same sort of people.

Can you imagine a situation where your aging mother is innocently riding down to her local shop to pick up some groceries completely oblivious to a local CM event when she is confronted by a motorist who has been delayed, insulted and abused by some of our hyper-vocal, aggressive, rebellious, hairy, unwashed, unloved, Neanderthal, fellow pedalers. Not a very pleasant thought really?

The combustion engine cannot be un-invented and mankind has to learn to live with it, but this will not be advanced by gangs of sweaty, smelly, lathered-up, cyclists, beetling around urban centres making a nuisance of themselves. Without the combustion engine how are our shops going to be filled with produce vital for day to day survival? How will we be able to clothe ourselves? How are our bikes going to be designed, developed, built, delivered, distributed etc? These are major political problems which need to be resolved and with some urgency. But is anyone really advocating that we should return to a life-style that would recognisable by cavemen? The population of the planet has increased exponentially and somehow we have tap into the world resources to enable ourselves to co-exist. Governments and industries are applying themselves to climate change and the other major problems which confront mankind. But they aint going to be sorted in a day. Get real boys and girls motorised transport is essential in this day and age. We are an interest group amongst many other interest groups and a pretty small one at that. We are not, nor should be, big enough or important enough to bring about the sort of change that I believe underlies the CM agenda – highly political and far to the left and nor should we wish to.

Cautious political engagement by those amongst us who are bright, clever and charismatic is far more likely to have a productive outcome than by making life unbearable for our fellow road users.

I know that most of you who are perfectly decent, law abiding, members of society who have joined these rides for perfectly innocent reasons will feel highly insulted by my observations. But you, IMHO, are being abused for a political end which is nowhere near where you true political alliances lie.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Titan yer tummy said:
I have dithered over replying to this for half a day and now decided to chip in my pennies-worth.

I am in complete agreement with those who deprecate this ludicrous, counterproductive, moronic, activity. It is a death wish for those of us who enjoy cycling as a healthy, gentle, pastime. It winds up other perfectly decent road users who will, in future, be less inclined to treat us with the courtesy that they might have previously been inclined to.

I first encountered a critical mass style demo driving to work in a van one morning, outside the Palace of Westminster, many years ago. The first I new of it, as I inched forward in a queue of traffic was when some snarling, abusive, twerp on a bike, amongst a throng of snarling, abusive, twerps on bikes, was screaming through my open window about how I was personally ruining the planet and his right to be on it. He and they then turned right, illegally, and headed off up Whitehall yelling and screaming at anyone else they could get close to. This was years before the days of the current CM movement but clearly had the same sort of aims and was filled by the same sort of people.

Can you imagine a situation where your aging mother is innocently riding down to her local shop to pick up some groceries completely oblivious to a local CM event when she is confronted by a motorist who has been delayed, insulted and abused by some of our hyper-vocal, aggressive, rebellious, hairy, unwashed, unloved, Neanderthal, fellow pedalers. Not a very pleasant thought really?

The combustion engine cannot be un-invented and mankind has to learn to live with it, but this will not be advanced by gangs of sweaty, smelly, lathered-up, cyclists, beetling around urban centres making a nuisance of themselves. Without the combustion engine how are our shops going to be filled with produce vital for day to day survival? How will we be able to clothe ourselves? How are our bikes going to be designed, developed, built, delivered, distributed etc? These are major political problems which need to be resolved and with some urgency. But is anyone really advocating that we should return to a life-style that would recognisable by cavemen? The population of the planet has increased exponentially and somehow we have tap into the world resources to enable ourselves to co-exist. Governments and industries are applying themselves to climate change and the other major problems which confront mankind. But they aint going to be sorted in a day. Get real boys and girls motorised transport is essential in this day and age. We are an interest group amongst many other interest groups and a pretty small one at that. We are not, nor should be, big enough or important enough to bring about the sort of change that I believe underlies the CM agenda – highly political and far to the left and nor should we wish to.

Cautious political engagement by those amongst us who are bright, clever and charismatic is far more likely to have a productive outcome than by making life unbearable for our fellow road users.

I know that most of you who are perfectly decent, law abiding, members of society who have joined these rides for perfectly innocent reasons will feel highly insulted by my observations. But you, IMHO, are being abused for a political end which is nowhere near where you true political alliances lie.

Just got time for a quick reply (as I'm engaged in another activity at the mo..)

Ref the cavemen assertion.. I dont think it will ever come to that.The Car, the engine infact, will always be here. Motorvehicles will change soon (10 years+/-) from petrochemical propulsion imo to other forms of fuel. Traffic will remain a constant increase until we start to renegoitiate things like size of car, passenger levels etc. Eventually I think we may see more of a return to rail or the like if traffic levels increase as they are.

Sun Superlight

Seems to me that if we want to win acceptance and respect as equal rights road users, and then we deliberately set out to antagonise and delay others, we gain neither support, nor respect for our level of intelligence.
I once accidentally joined in the Manchester CM ride and regretted it almost immediately. Sad really, as there were many good people there, but in among them were a few complete tossers who where hell bent on confrontation with whichever frustrated motorists they could intimidate.
No better than bullying tactics really.
Far better to join a good natured organised ride out with a purpose. (Cafe stop, pub lunch, fitness/social ride, or any other acceptable reason)
A small group of happy cyclists who are clearly enjoying themselves may well win us a few more converts.
A large group of undiciplined and confrontational bikers will gain us neither the support nor the respect we need.

Sun Superlight said:
A small group of happy cyclists who are clearly enjoying themselves may well win us a few more converts.

You'd have thought so, but I've seen someone go puce with rage behind the wheel of his Range Rover when confronted with a Sunday club ride doing nothing more confrontational than consulting a map on the side of the road, well out of the way of everyone. I think the only thing to do is continue to ride as long as you enjoy doing so and accept that there are some folk out there who will never ever get it, whatever you do.

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
Far better to join a good natured organised ride out with a purpose.

Sun Superlight said:
Far better to join a good natured organised ride out with a purpose. (Cafe stop, pub lunch, fitness/social ride, or any other acceptable reason)

A large group of undiciplined and confrontational bikers will gain us neither the support nor the respect we need.

Here here! I couldn't agree more.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
what about people who cycle with cm just because they feel safe in the bunch? there are people who only cycle in manchester city centre with cm because motons make it too dangerous at other times. cm is neither political nor antagonistic. it is simply a bunch of riders who like to cycle together. no more than that. it takes approx 5 minutes to pass. it doesn't go past the same roads and clog them up. why is ok for motons to kill cyclists every day but not to wait 5 minutes for a happy bunch to pass? i don't belong to a club and ride mostly solo. club rides are weekly sometimes twice weekly. why are club riders 3 or 3 abreast acceptable but 300 riders once a month are not? i think critical mass is good way for one voice to have the power of many. it is quite simple, motons stop killing cyclists every day and then there would be no need for cm. tbh i am amazed that all cyclists don't support cm. the fact that motons get upset just proves that there is still a point to make. why is it acceptable for people to come on here and brag about bashing cars or having road rage incidents but cm is disgraceful behaviour? double standards i think. cm is to show strength amongst cyclists and show we have the right to stay alive.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Titan yer tummy said:

fancy yerself a bit don't you?

Ok I may give CM a look but im not expecting too much because poor behaviour comes from every sort of road user not just cars.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
bromptonfb said:
excuse me?!!!!
bromptonfb If what I posted upset you I unreservedly and sincerely apologise. Without hesitation. My intent was not to cause offence but to highlight the weakness of the argument. As others have pointed out one can have perfectly valid negative opinions about a variety of things without actually experiencing them for yourself. CM is, imo, one such thing.

For the record I took part in many London CM's from the late 90's onwards until in recent years I changed jobs and became a rural cross county bike commuter. I stand by my criticism and change of heart. CM is simply law breaking enabled by sheer weight on numbers. I used to RLJ in London too, part of the same mindset in my case, and have changed my opinions on that too.

GregCollins said:
bromptonfb If what I posted upset you I unreservedly and sincerely apologise. Without hesitation. My intent was not to cause offence but to highlight the weakness of the argument. As others have pointed out one can have perfectly valid negative opinions about a variety of things without actually experiencing them for yourself. CM is, imo, one such thing.

For the record I took part in many London CM's from the late 90's onwards until in recent years I changed jobs and became a rural cross county bike commuter. I stand by my criticism and change of heart. CM is simply law breaking enabled by sheer weight on numbers. I used to RLJ in London too, part of the same mindset in my case, and have changed my opinions on that too.

Really interesting to see how your feelings have changed, and good of you to say so. ;)

CM is not something I could ever be part of, having seen and read about many of their rides.

Top Bottom