Ribble Endurance ALe Sport for commuting - Part 6 - .... 1,700+ miles, it's a good tool but ----

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,

I am at around the 1,700 mile mark so getting very used to the bike and am still using it so it can't be terrible, I also still feel no attachment to it.

Firstly and to be clear Ribble delivered what they advertised, at the price they advertised and within the timescale they advertised, so Ribble can hardly be faulted, well not too much.

There are a couple of issues that I can blame Ribble for; There is very little handlebar height adjustment and the motor cable runs very close the rear wheel, a broken spoke would mean that the tyre will rub against the cable!

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG
And yes it does need a clean, but that is only the ride home's dirt! It does look like a big gap in the photo but it is much smaller in reality.

It is still really hard to come up with an average battery life despite it being the same route every day. One charge seems to do Mon-Wed, or around 120 miles but then every so often I might get through half a charge in one 18 mile leg.

The high battery usage seems to co-coincide with a particularly nice, strong ale, or few, from the local the night before, although semi-joking I am also being serious.

Although the X35 system has always been advertised as a bit of extra power for enthusiasts it can be used as an almost moped. Select a low gear, spin a bit without much effort and the motor will do most of the work, although at a pretty low speed, not much more than 12-13mph draining the battery pretty quickly.

IWOC is still awful and there is not much space on the handlebars as soon as you add a couple of lights, remember that you need to be able to mount and dismount them.
IMG_0007.JPG

I was hoping that chain life might be longer than the 1,500 miles I used to get with 10 speed on the grounds that some of the load is applied directly from the hub rather than via the chain, but sadly I am not. Went to Halfords last week and got a Clarks chain, they seem to be just as good as Shimano and ProBikeKit have just shipped me three Tiagra chains for £47 inluding delivery, sadly 3 is the limit and it is tempting to be selfish and make a separate order for another 3.

So would I buy another Ribble ALe if this one got stolen tomorrow?

Firstlyl I am not sure if I could, I went for the medium frame and the Ribble web site says out of stock and wont let me order one, so maybe they are not restocking this model. The frame sizes left are all still on offer at £2k which is very good value in comparison with its nearest competitor the Orbea D50 suggesting a very low demand.

The Ribble carbon framed range are in stock but they are all 12 speed and prices are getting silly for a commute bike, partly because apart from a mechanical 105 at £2.5k, they are all Di2 starting at £3.6k.

Having come from a good road bike, the underlying bike feels okay but also a step down, so paying £2.7k for a D50 locally would be out of the question. Perhaps if I had swapped from an £199 Apollo full suspension mountain bike to the Ribble I would like it more but I just can’t see the £2k plus is worth the effort saving.

So I would dally and probably not buy another e bike, certainly I wouldn't be rushing to get something.

This may sound odd because a motor must make the ride easier! The place where the motor is noticable for me is when starting to ride without a warm up, but as soon as I have warmed up it mostly sits either turned off or not in use because of the speed cut off.

If you go for a test ride in the shop car park this probably won’t make much sense as the motor can get you up to 15.5mph really quickly on the flat. Indeed this seems to be where it excels, I sometimes use the mid power setting when joining a busy roundabout as it get me onto it at speed quickly.

Yet on steep hills 12% plus the power just doesn’t appear to be noticeable, is it simply a lack of torque or am I expecting too much? On the flatter hills first thing in the morning I do notice the assistance but if ride the same hills after a warm up it is much less obvious.

As it was bought to make the continuous commute easier is it doing that and the answer is still yes.

But more and more experimentation shows that it mostly down to those first couple of hilly miles when straight out of bed and if I ride with the motor on or off after that it makes no difference.

I have also had two visits from the puncture fairy which surprised me as I haven't had tyres as wide as 28mm since I switched from 27x1 1/4 to tubs in the late 1970s and both where pinch flats despite the tyres being almost stone hard!

The lack of a Q/R isn't a problem as a standard multitool can undo and redo the wheel nuts fine, and the motor cable comes undone easily enough. I do worrry about reconnecting it though, the connector is fine when assembling the bike and perhaps disassembling it once a year in a warm workshop on a bike stand, but it seems quite fragile when it is freezing cold and you don't align the two parts accurately.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
Interesting experiences, quite the opposite to mine I have to say.

I found my Boardman eBike transformed my commuting experience so much I went off and bought a Creo eBike to replace my road bike! I suspect the difference is the Boardman is over 20kg in commuter mode, panniers, lights, near 1kg Marathon tires, riding the thing without assistance is an awful experience as I've found out a few times when I've timed battery charging wrong.

At the end of the day its what ever gets you out riding more. I know for me, eBikes makes me ride much much more, the work bike area is quite interesting these says, loads of different eBikes of all size/shapes, mixed in with a similar array of different none-assisted bikes.

For me anyways, any future pedal bike I buy will almost certainly need to have a motor in it, but all of us are different, and the more bikes there are of any kind, the better :smile:.

53541107939_da920e6716_c_d.jpg

Interesting - a guy in our club rides an x35 based Ribble. Hes one of the faster ones getting up the hills - but drops towards the back on flat sections. Pretty much the opposite of what you describe..!!!

I can't comprehend a e bike not helping on the hills - that seems a different experience to every e biker I know and every e bike review I read ...

Daft question.......but is it all working as it should ?

Good morning,

If you let the title sink in it might explain the apparent differences. :smile:

I am not attempting an indepth review of ebikes for all ride and rider profiles, instead imagine a conversation in pub something along the lines of

Hi, I've been told you do a long commute and have an ebike, I want to go from Worcester to Evesham (again about 18 miles, up and down country lanes rather than Mount Ventoux) what difference will the ebike make to my journey, I already have a carbon fibre drop bar bike with 2x10? The local ebike dealer wants £2.7k for a Claris equipped racer, that's a lot of train tickets or petrol.

As a commute bike its primary role is to get me from home to work and back, I am not seeking out interesting new routes, long shallow climbs or steep hills.

Instead I meet the hills that I meet on the way and these mostly fall into three categories.
  • Not so steep that out of the sadle I either hit the speed cut off or the reduced assistance as I approach the cutoff for a very short period of time at the top of the hill.
    • I could chose to put in less effort and use the motor but don't.
  • Not so steep that out of the sadle I would either hit the speed cut off or the reduced assistance as I approach the cutoff for a very short period of time at the top of the hill except I am still cold and sleepy.
    • The motor is great here.
  • Short stretchs of 12% plus where it seems like the local authority was obliged to put in a road but didn't want to spend any money doing so, so they didn't flatten the land off.
    • I am not the lightest person in the world and the motor is noticable, but not at a level that is worth £2k to me.
Although 18 miles is a long commute it is a very short a pleasure ride so many days I can be quite committed, indeed I need to be otherwise fitness will just slowly drift away.

There are also quite a few comments about the X35 system and steeper hills so I am not so far outside the norm as you might think, it's just that these comments are harder to find. Added to which as I don't write for a site with vested interests, I am more willing to be honest/negative about things.

Why I still use it instead of going back to the steel bike is that its strength for me is when I don't really want to ride, Fridays, strong headwind days or hung over.

I got the food intake wrong this week and yesterday had both a strong headwind and it was Fridays, this made the ride home not much fun. So I turned the motor on and used it more on the flat and shallow inclines than on the hills where it is easy to make a short burst of speed and power.

The is it working comment raises an interesting point on X35 configuration, the mobile app doesn't let you enter a tyre size, Ribble sell the Endurance ALe with 700x28 and the CGR ALe with 700x40 tyres, given that tyres normall get taller when wider that is proably around 3% difference in wheel&tyre diameter. However the cut off feels to be at the right place, not that I could tell a 0.5 mph error, but I have no easy way of testing that.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
If I brought an e bike and the hills weren't easier I would send it straight back.

That's the whole point of e bikes.

gzoom

Über Member
If I brought an e bike and the hills weren't easier I would send it straight back.

That's the whole point of e bikes.

eBikes for me makes a MASSIVE difference on any kind of incline, literally makes me twice as fast, but that’s probably because I’m not that fit :smile:.

52598566525_d71e32468c_w_d.jpg

52598134706_dc9586f8e9_c_d.jpg

52597647842_64d4ef190d_c_d.jpg

Top Bottom