A strange allergy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
My dad used to whistle, or hum, and one of our guinea pigs learned to recognise the sound of him coming down the street from the shops in the morning and start squeaking for her lunch...

Maz

Guru
I heard somewhere that random whistling is now sadly in decline. Former exponents of this ancient artform were milkmen and rag-and-bone men.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Maz said:
I heard somewhere that random whistling is now sadly in decline. Former exponents of this ancient artform were milkmen and rag-and-bone men.
I was a postie for a bit, and I used to randomly whistle ;):whistle:

Maz

Guru
Uncle Phil said:
Now, if you can whistle while you're cycling, you must be fit.

Or going slowly.

I sometimes do it.
Since when has 'wheezing' counted as 'whistling', Uncle Phil? ;)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Maz said:

I think rag-and-bone men have been replaced, at least round 'ere, with scrap metal merchants. He does not whistle but shouts something very loudly, it gives the impression of being an incomprehensible and long sentence, but I think just ends in iiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrooonnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Chuffy said:
Can you be allergic to whistling? xx(
I have a colleague who whistles. No tune as such, just generic whistling. This person annoys the hell out of me anyway and the whistling is the straw that makes the camel want to grab an Uzi. When I worked for Royal Mail I could hear a whistler from across the far side of the sorting floor, luckily I could wear headphones at work and drown them out. No such luck here.
Is it just me or does anyone else have this problem?

Chuffy,

I am a fellow sufferer, there is nothing that makes me more annoyed than a whistler. It's the moronic mindlessness of it that drives me up the wall. It doesn't matter if they could whistle Beethoven's 5th, I still would like to beat them with hammers and leave them bleeding in the moonlight.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Speicher said:
I think rag-and-bone men have been replaced, at least round 'ere, with scrap metal merchants. He does not whistle but shouts something very loudly, it gives the impression of being an incomprehensible and long sentence, but I think just ends in iiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrooonnnnnnnnnnnnn.

"Any old iron?"

I remember the rag and bone man being one of the 'through the windows' films on Playschool. Nowadays, it would be the folk who collect the recycling boxes. IE, sometimes, me! I wish we had a horse and cart!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Arch said:
"Any old iron?"

I remember the rag and bone man being one of the 'through the windows' films on Playschool. Nowadays, it would be the folk who collect the recycling boxes. IE, sometimes, me! I wish we had a horse and cart!

You still get rag and bone men around here occasionally - the North-East must be one of the few places they still exist (in England, at least...)

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Disgruntled Goat said:
Chuffy,

I am a fellow sufferer, there is nothing that makes me more annoyed than a whistler. It's the moronic mindlessness of it that drives me up the wall. It doesn't matter if they could whistle Beethoven's 5th, I still would like to beat them with hammers and leave them bleeding in the moonlight.
:tongue:
I love you. Just call if you ever need your hammers cleaning. :evil:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Whistlers, hummers, people who incoherently mumble and the ones who constantly tap pencils on desks or click biros...

They should all be shot... slowly:evil:

Top Bottom