A very delicate issue - (ahem) - (ladies may choose to skip this !)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CPD

Veteran
Since about mid-November I have clocked up approximately 175 miles spread over 15 rides, and the miles are beginning to build nicely ( I am aiming to do 125 miles this week alone). I have a hybrid and so far have ridden 98% on rural roads and A-roads mostly in good condition but with the odd pot hole etc.

I find the bike actually quite comfortable and have mostly got over/ used to the aches and pains that I guess are inevitable after a (very) long break from any cycling. I am 45 / 15.5stone.

However, I am developing what seems to be a constant numbness in "my old man". The "veg" are fine. Now, is this another "pain/ache" type thing that my body will get used to over time, or do I need to look at changing my saddle ?. I ride exclusively in the sitting position but more and more I am having to stand whilst moving (not pedalling) to get some feeling back in thew whole "area". I know there are gel type saddles and those with the central support almost cut away to relieve the pressure - should I be looking at those, and if so, does anyone have any recommendations they care to make ?.

I could go to the doctors I guess but I doubt they would be of much use with something like this.

This is my bike. Thanks for your help ;):blush::biggrin:.

DSCF4459.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF4459.jpg
    DSCF4459.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 38

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I am going to purposely avoid answering your question apart from
is that saddle completely level?
Depending on your height usually the saddle will be at least a few centimetres higher than your handlebars.. but will allow that it will depend on your frame..
However...
remove those spoke reflectors
get that on the big cr and little cog for the pimp shot
remove the cruddy plastic from behind the cassette
and yes , some nicely fitted mudguards to keep the winter shoot off you and the bike to do more miles
and what are those excuses for pedals??? grief

oh yeah .. the cold weather can play havoc with the JTs

ChrisKH

Guru
It's very shiny. The bike that is. How do you keep it so clean?

I would reiterate level saddle. And if it's level then a change of saddle may be called for.

gregster

There is another thread on here about saddle position and numb bits which may be worth checking out.
However, I think the best thing you could do is to get to your LBS, pay them a few quid to have a professional look at your riding position and get them to tell you what's wrong. Pointless spending £50+ on a new saddle if you can resolve the problem with a minor adjustment.
With regards to the saddle, the biggest problem is not having enough support on the bum bones that take most of your weight while sitting, ie if your saddle is too narrow most of the weight will be on your perenieum (?), the bit between you know what and you know where!!! The nerve endings in there will get squashed and cut off feeling to him!
Hope that is of help!

snorri

Legendary Member
First thing is, don't worry about people making fashion statements about your bicycle, the important thing is you have a bicycle and are using it and not allowing it to gather cobwebs in a shed. ;)
Regarding the errr problem. You should not have to suffer this, and usually a seat adjustment can help matters. A new seat may be the answer, but gel saddles are not usually a solution as they result in more squeezing of the vitals.

Hollyhillian

I had a problem with numbness for quite a while until I spent some money on good quality bib shorts with a proper anotomical pad inside rather than a simple foam pad. Also for me, I found it has become better the more I ride. I guess I'm getting used to it.
As already mentioned though, check your saddle height and position and consider a replacent saddle as well ,it could be that the saddle you have simply doesn't suit you.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I am Spartacus said:
and what are those excuses for pedals??? grief

Don't be so rude. Those are perfectly fine, and ideal if the rider wants to try toeclips and ride in any old shoes. You might be having a joke, but Beginners is not the place to flaunt your 'wit'....

Sorry CPD, I can't help much (being a lady, yes, I dared look...), but the advice about getting a fitting and tweaking the saddle level sounds spot on. You want the weight to be on your sit bones - that is what they are designed for...

I don't suffer numbness, sometimes I'd prefer it to a sore bum! But I imagine the pins and needles when the feeling comes back is not good!;)

Anway, welcome!

ASC1951

Guru
CPD said:
I am developing what seems to be a constant numbness in "my old man". The "veg" are fine.... I ride exclusively in the sitting position but more and more I am having to stand whilst moving (not pedalling) to get some feeling back in thew whole "area".
From personal experience the problem could be the type of saddle or clothing, but is more likely to be saddle height/position/angle or some other set-up issue. Saddles are a very individual matter, but +1 from me for having a proper cycle fitting, which was definitely the best £50 I have ever spent in a bike shop. Once you have the measurements you can, with a few tweaks, apply them to every bike you will ever own.

Now, this is important. Occasional numbness a couple of times on a long ride, which is relieved when you stand up for 20 seconds or so - fine. Constant numbness - not fine at all. You can do yourself significant permanent damage if you regularly ride with a pinched nerve or restricted blood supply.

Don't ignore the problem.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
this may sound like doing the wrong thing, but just try tilting the nose of the saddle up by an inch. it worked for me with my last saddle. i think i read it on the sheldonbrown website. hth

gbb

Legendary Member
Hollyhillian said:
I had a problem with numbness for quite a while until I spent some money on good quality bib shorts with a proper anotomical pad inside rather than a simple foam pad. Also for me, I found it has become better the more I ride. I guess I'm getting used to it.
As already mentioned though, check your saddle height and position and consider a replacent saddle as well ,it could be that the saddle you have simply doesn't suit you.

+1.
I have the Ponza saddle on both my road bikes and used to suffer very occasionally with numbness...but it passed, perhaps as Hollyhillan states with riding more.
Also, i found the Ponza quite a hard saddle at first, but noticed the older one is slowly forming to my shape, its a little depressed where my bones sit. This may be true of all saddles, it may not.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
For starters (on account of it's free and easy) put a large hardback book on your saddle, then a spirit level, pointing fore/aft. Is the bubble centred? If not, adjust till it is. That's your starting point. If that doesn't sort it, move on...

Top Bottom