A very delicate issue - (ahem) - (ladies may choose to skip this !)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Arch said:
Don't be so rude. Those are perfectly fine, and ideal if the rider wants to try toeclips and ride in any old shoes. You might be having a joke, but Beginners is not the place to flaunt your 'wit'....

Sorry CPD, I can't help much (being a lady, yes, I dared look...), but the advice about getting a fitting and tweaking the saddle level sounds spot on. You want the weight to be on your sit bones - that is what they are designed for...

I don't suffer numbness, sometimes I'd prefer it to a sore bum! But I imagine the pins and needles when the feeling comes back is not good!:evil:

Anway, welcome!

Nothing to do with wit and I wasnt being rude .. I was being right
Chances are Op will be back in 3 months posting knee pain with poor quality pedal stroke.

Oh maybe he is 10, then I'll let him off
;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I am Spartacus said:
Nothing to do with wit and I wasnt being rude .. I was being right
Chances are Op will be back in 3 months posting knee pain with poor quality pedal stroke.

Oh maybe he is 10, then I'll let him off
:evil:

They look just like the pedals I've done 1500 miles on this summer, with no problem.

The OP may well have been embarassed enough posting his question, so let's lay off being snobby about pedals.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Again. not being 'snobby' jeeesus leave my class out of it, I can't help my birth..
actually going back to the OP .. mentions having to stand up out of saddle.. if he does that on a regular basis on a pair of flatties, well its asking for another squish of his JT.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Come on, snobby in this case is nothing to do with class and you know it.

Maybe you can only ride in fancy shoes and fancy pedals. Millions of people manage perfectly well on pedals like those - including me.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I have only just got round to answering the underlying insult ... grrrr:angry:
Flattie.jpg

yes I do possess flatties... but as you can see from the direction of the reflector, I mainly use the spd side
I'll try to refrain from further snobbery however..
huffnpuff
B)

Attachments

• Flattie.jpg
    Flattie.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 13

Ademort

Before you buy a new saddle try pointing the saddle down a little. I have a few Dutch colleagues with the same problem and they say with the saddle pointed down a little it helps enormousely. I am going out from the fact that you have comfy padded shorts and your position on the bike is good.

chap

Veteran
Admittedly, I have not read all the responses, but this generally suggests tht there is excess pressure being put on your Perrineum. This is not something you should get used to, as continued pressure can have an adverse effect on your ... family tree.

Instead, I suggest you do the following in order (quiting when it stops):

1. Read this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html Sheldon Browns advice withstands the sands of time.
  2. Buy a saddle with a cut-out e.g. Brooks Imperial
  3. Go to the doctor to seek advice

lukesdad

chap said:
Admittedly, I have not read all the responses, but this generally suggests tht there is excess pressure being put on your Perrineum. This is not something you should get used to, as continued pressure can have an adverse effect on your ... family tree.

Instead, I suggest you do the following in order (quiting when it stops):

1. Read this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html Sheldon Browns advice withstands the sands of time.
  2. Buy a saddle with a cut-out e.g. Brooks Imperial
  3. Go to the doctor to seek advice
Lukesmum would agree with you she swears we didnt have kids till late on because of cycling.

harry dunn

Saddles are a personal chice what suits one may be no good for another , get your bike set up properly first , then think about changing saddles.Check the hight by pedal at 6 oclock and placing your heel on it leg fully extended when sitting , check out the distance from bars is correct elbow on nose of saddle finger tips extended . Finger ends should be jus behind the handle bars .Saddle should be level or slightly down at the front ( unless you ride bmx.)
If this doesnt help get a big cushion preferably in front of the tele.

OP
OP
C

CPD

Veteran
A quick update.

I haven't ridden the bike over christmas and new year. The numbness is still there thought gradually improving and it is rather worrying how long it is taking to return to "normal". "Performance" has most definitely been affected, so not good.

Following your very kind advice, I have sourced two saddles with "cut-outs" and will conduct trials when the time is right.

So thanks again to all.

Oh, and thanks to those who took their clearly precious and invaluble time to point out the deficiencies with my bike. When I am big, I too hope to have shiny black pedals, just like yours :biggrin:.

Top Bottom