AA Giving Away Helmets & HV Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinC

Über Member
Perhaps the CTC should give drivers free Highway Codes.

Perhaps the CTC should give drivers free Highway Codes.

I believe they are doing.

You might want to discuss the issue with the AA directly, and let them know how this ridiculous campaign is backfiring. I spoke to a young chap who knew nothing of the controversy over research, the latest study published, or the public health aspects.

Telephone numbers

Just in case it gets taken down (the normal call centre sounds overloaded) these numbers might be helpful:

Edmund King, President of the AA
Office (Basingstoke): 01256 492380
Twitter: @AAPresident

Sue Dodds, PA to Edmund King
Office (direct dial): 01256 491538

Here's the number I used:

Sue Beeson, Head of AA PR
AA brand and all AA products/services
Office: 01256 495969

Didn't get Sue Beeson, but one of her team.

Number14

Guru
Good. Now if we could just get teach them to read them.........................

Number14

Guru
I love the opening line on the AA link page:

Ninety seven per cent of AA members think cyclists should wear helmets, according to an AA/Populus poll* of almost 16,000 AA members commissioned to promote AA Cycle Safety Day.

I think there's a flaw in their statistics - according to the AA they have around 15 million members so the 97% quoted is bullsh1t.

Perhaps we should have a poll on CC. May I predict the results - 100% of CC members think motorists should get out of their cars and get on a bike.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the endgame here is to get 'contributory negligence' in to the calculation of damages. The AA is a big insurer, and brain damage is a costly item.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
the endgame here is to get 'contributory negligence' in to the calculation of damages. The AA is a big insurer, and brain damage is a costly item.

(Picking his words carefully).

Are you sure? When you buy an AA motor policy, the AA is acting as a broker, not an insurer.

snorri

Legendary Member
Ninety seven per cent of AA members think cyclists should wear helmets, according to an AA/Populus poll* of almost 16,000 AA members commissioned to promote AA Cycle Safety Day.

I think there's a flaw in their statistics - according to the AA they have around 15 million members so the 97% quoted is bullsh1t.
I think their stats are ok. The Populus poll is available to all members, but only 16,000 take part. As 97% of that 16,000 say helmets should be worn, it would probably be fair to assume that a similar percentage of the total membership would be of the same opinion, had they been asked.
If you wish to influence future polls, click on the link and sign up!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
(Picking his words carefully).

Are you sure? When you buy an AA motor policy, the AA is acting as a broker, not an insurer.
true, but as a broker (and as an organisation representing motorists) they've got an interest in keeping costs down.

The CTC's one victory in recent years was to head off a change in the Highway Code that would have advised the wearing of helmets. Their fear was that the John Burridge (and the later Daniel Coombs) precedents would have been reversed.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I sent the AA President a link to the book 'Murder Most Foul - by JS Dean' when he tweeted whinging about why some cyclists had issues with the AA handing out hi viz tabs and helmets.

Strangely, he didn't reply.

Top Bottom