Accessories for a Carrera Crossfire 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bikestands. Where do you stand? Is this the new Marmite.

I only have roadbikes so they’re not an option. However, having recently used bikes with them on holiday, they’re useless for heavy bikes unless the ground is completely flat and the set up spot on and that’s without panniers…maybe the double legged ebike ones are better)

Dadam

All kickstands I see are rated at max 25kg load. That's total weight. Not additional weight on the bike. So, it's all and any weight that goes on the kickstand. What do I do? Bike alone is like 15kg or something.

Also is that 40l per bag? Or is it 20l per bag?
Is that your eBay listing?

I wouldn't worry about that, the stand is never taking the full weight of the bike. That's still mainly on the tyres. The rated load is probably to avoid claims if people use them on the heaviest e-bikes.

OP
OP
M

Milena

4 cars at our property. Lean the bike carefully against a car - I do ! Kick stand will add another kilo, and it takes a slight gust and it will be over. They won't take the weight ! Talk about making life complicated for yourself.

How about those double leg stands? Once I come back from shopping for groceries, I could raise it on the double stand?

If I leant the bike with all that weight, surely it would get damaged? Sides of the handles and other contact points?

Dadam

If your bike has the mounting point behind the bottom bracket, then the two leg kickstands are a possibility. The Decathlon one is the rigid type that just folds back with one leg each side. The Primo one linked above is the same type (but different brand) I have on my hybrid, where both legs fold to the same side of the wheel. I have this one

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LNLXML4
which hasn't missed a beat in 4 years of heavy use. No longer available under that listing but the same product is probably available under other brands.

Dadam

You've had lots of sensible suggestions but are poo poo'ing them - listen to those of us doing this every day - my commuter bike loaded weighs much over a kickstand weight limit - never needed one.

Never needed one but have you used one? It's a small amount of extra weight for a lot of extra convenience. They don't weigh a kilo, the one I use weighs half that and it's one of the beefier double leg ones.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How about those double leg stands? Once I come back from shopping for groceries, I could raise it on the double stand?

If I leant the bike with all that weight, surely it would get damaged? Sides of the handles and other contact points?

You are adding to complexity and weight. Get the rack and panniers and see how you get on. I commute every day with an old mountain bike, full mudguards, and two panniers full with clothes, shoes, lunch and laptop. It's not lightweight. I stop at work, lean bike against me whilst I rummage into my pannier to get the access card for the bike shelter. Wheel bike in, unclip panniers, then pop the bike in a stand to lock it up.

You won't damage the bars etc. Your issue is the weight on the stand, and any jiggling with putting shopping in could tip it over. Try it without, and if you can't manage get one, but weight is an issue.

I've managed bike packing with an expensive mountain bike, and just leant my bike on walls, furniture etc as I loaded up the bar bag etc. No damage to the bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Never needed one but have you used one? It's a small amount of extra weight for a lot of extra convenience. They don't weigh a kilo, the one I use weighs half that and it's one of the beefier double leg ones.

I'd never bother, never needed it, no point fitting shoot you don't need, further increasing weight of an already heavy bike. I had one on a bike many many years ago, pointless unless the ground is level and hard.

Dadam

Never had a problem standing mine up just about anywhere, but anyway that's your choice. I think for the OP one would be a good idea.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Halfords are doing 10% off minimum spend £30. Can ya'll please help me choose accessories I will need? Thanks.

- Let's start with puncture repair/prevention-
> I need a saddle bag or something to hold it right?
> Is slime worth buying and can I put it into a tube with presta valve?
> Should I upgrade to Marathon plus tires? I read they are incredibly hard to get on and off the rims and are very heavy to cycle with.
I can't find a 700x42c Marathon Plus on Halfords site. My bike spec on their site says it has a tire size of 700x42c, so I assume this is the size I need right?
> Metal vs plastic tire levers?
I need a portable pump.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...th-puncture-repair-kit-bundle-2280141122.html
> £24 worth buying or are the pumps gonna die soon due to likely being low quality?
> I read somewhere something about vulcanized patches being the best? Whatever those are. Should I get those instead of the Halfords patch repair kit?

On another thread someone said this is good -

[/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][SIZE=5]Kingfisher101[/SIZE]

Über Member

Ask Halfords as well if they do tyre liners or slime puncture protection, these would help a bit as well. Here you go https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...halfords-anti-puncture-tyre-liner-469966.html. These should help, but nothing is 100% re stopping punctures.

> Should I get that instead of the marathon plus tires?

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I just said, cars block the walls. We have 3 cars on our driveway. I have no wall to lean it against.

Well lean it against a car then. That is what I normally do when I get home, while I go round to open the garage door (it only opens from the inside). Your rake hoods should be the only bit actually touching the car, and those shouldn't scratch it.

Alex321

Veteran
....I'm talking about the load the kickstand is designed for. That's important. If it exceeds 25kg as most kickstands have that load limit, it'll probably collapse and maybe break?

That 25Kg is the limit through the stand. Assuming both wheels are still oni the ground, only 1/3 of the weight at most will be going through the stand, probably less, the wheels should stioll be taking most pf the weight.

If you stand holding the bike with it at a slight angle towards you, does the weight you are experience ing seem anything like 25Kg?

The only ones where that could be an issue are the double-leg type that actually lift the rear wheel off the ground.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Halfords are doing 10% off minimum spend £30. Can ya'll please help me choose accessories I will need? Thanks.

> Should I upgrade to Marathon plus tires? I read they are incredibly hard to get on and off the rims and are very heavy to cycle with.
I can't find a 700x42c Marathon Plus on Halfords site. My bike spec on their site says it has a tire size of 700x42c, so I assume this is the size I need right?
I need a portable pump.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...th-puncture-repair-kit-bundle-2280141122.html
> £24 worth buying or are the pumps gonna die soon due to likely being low quality?
> I read somewhere something about vulcanized patches being the best? Whatever those are. Should I get those instead of the Halfords patch repair kit?

[/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][SIZE=5]Kingfisher101[/SIZE]

Über Member

Ask Halfords as well if they do tyre liners or slime puncture protection, these would help a bit as well. Here you go https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...halfords-anti-puncture-tyre-liner-469966.html. These should help, but nothing is 100% re stopping punctures.

Marathon plus tyres will be more expensive than tyre liners plus they are very hard to get on and off. You can still get punctures with either but hopefully less. With any tight tyres you have to understand about getting the bead right down into the well of the rim etc. There's a technique to it. Personally I'd go for the tyre liners if I were you.

Alex321

Veteran

If your are riding with panniers, then no need for a saddlebag as well. Otherwise yes, and can be a good idea anyhow for the tme you just want to ride without load.

You can, if the valve has a removable core. You can also get inner tubes pre-fileld with slime. Personally, I'm not a fan, it doesn't seem to help as much as you might hope at road bike tyre pressures (60-80psi).

They can sometimes be hard to get on and off the rims, but I have them and find them worthwhile. They don't add all that much weight, but they are stiffer than most tyres that have less punture protection.

And you have to do the job of getting them on and off much les frequently than with other tyres, because they really do puncture very much lesss often.

Ideally, plastic with a metal core. The plastic surface is better for your rims, but the metal core keeps them rigid enough to do the job.

I need a portable pump.

> £24 worth buying or are the pumps gonna die soon due to likely being low quality

That package is good value, but I don't like that type of mini pump personally, I prefer ones like the Topeak Morph range, that have a hose to connect to the valve, rather than the type where the body of the pump connects directly.

And the track pump doesn't have a pressure gauge, so you would need to buy a separate pressure gauge.

[/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][HEADING=3][SIZE=5]Kingfisher101[/SIZE]

Über Member

It is cheaper, but I have no idea how well it would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom