Acknowledging good driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I often thank courteous drivers in the same way.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yes, if someone shows some kindness I always give a wave or a smile. I'm being entirely selfish. It makes me happy, and I hope it makes them better disposed towards cyclists.

Reiki_chick

I totally agree with acknowledging careful driving with a raised hand, a thumbs up, a smile or a nod.
Sometimes I think of it as expressing my gratitude, sometimes I think of it as giving positive reinforcement ~ enough with shouting or gesturing at the idiot drivers, I prefer to say thanks to the good ones (though I still do the other from time to time).

And it's double delight to get a smile back from the driver!

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
I have done this over the last couple of weeks.

On sunday on the canal though, I was saying thank you to pedestrians on the footpath for moving to the side and not one said anything back! I went past a fellow MTB'er who said 'Good day sir!.'

Tha'ts what it should be about!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I either use a thumbs up or i do a little wave.

mangaman

I do - a wave.

My driving around cyclists has also been massively influenced by this site (and C+). The much maligned Spindrift was one of the 1st to drum into my head the extra care around cyclists while driving.

I often shepherd cyclists through parts of the city where I know pinch points are ahead - or on twisty country roads.

By that I mean I sit behind cyclists in my car with Mr Toad drivers up my arse, and refuse to overtake the cyclist until I am absolutely clear it's safe. This always gets -

1) Angry flashing lights/tailgating from behind

2) An appreciative and somewhat shocked wave from the cyclist when I've driven slowly behind them for miles.

I learned that on C+/ACF/here and Spindift and all his various user names was one of the main movers in my change of attitude. (While he's getting an unjustified kicking in other posts)

Mad at urage

Yes I do this (both as motorist and cyclist) and have occasionally been thanked.

A few days ago I failed to overtake a police cyclist on a bend, where I knew there was a traffic island about 50 yards ahead between me and my turning (he was moving at a respectable speed). From the look on his face as he realised that someone was actually waiting for him to pass the pinch-point, he was quite shocked!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I do this, although I'd advise against saying "Thank you". A guy I said that to thought I'd sworn at him (he lip read "F*** you", I guess) and chased me before stopping in front of me and threatening to hit me.

Be careful that any gesture you do make can't be misinterpreted - there are a lot of angry people out there.

fimm

Veteran
I do try to do this (although I am quite good at doing my acknowledgement when I am in the driver's rear-side blind spot, which isn't much use...)

subaqua

What’s the point
Yes... and there is nothing quite like being behind a steering wheel to bring out the lunatic side of someone's personality

or indeed sitting on a saddle and holding handlebars.

there are lunatic knuckle dragging f**ktards operating all modes of transport

Top Bottom