Acknowledging good driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I do this, although I'd advise against saying "Thank you". A guy I said that to thought I'd sworn at him (he lip read "F*** you", I guess) and chased me before stopping in front of me and threatening to hit me.

Be careful that any gesture you do make can't be misinterpreted - there are a lot of angry people out there.

Absolutely agree with you John you do need to be carefull. but still try to acknowledge courteous car drivers with a smile or friendly thumbs up. The courteous ones are probably cyclists anyway.

subaqua

What’s the point
The lunatic on the bike is of less concern than the f**ktard in the 44 ton Articulated Lorry

unless of course the f**ktard on the bike does something so stupidly unpredictable they cause an otherwise law abiding driver to swerve to avoid them and lose control of a vehicle. cos thats never happened has it.

oh sorry i forgot in Clod(sic) CC land the cyclist is never the one in the wrong. the " not my fault" attitude prevalent across soooooo much of society.

Dan B

Disengaged member
unless of course the f**ktard on the bike does something so stupidly unpredictable they cause an otherwise law abiding driver to swerve to avoid them and lose control of a vehicle. cos thats never happened has it.

I think it happened once in 1983 to a friend of a bloke I met in the pub.

As to the relative risk of car (or lorry) driver and cyclist, I think we can probably look at e.g. the procedures for stripping a bad driver of their licence. Latest I heard, this doesn't involve banning them from riding a bike or even from walking down the road on foot, which says to me at least that the government and judicial system believe motor vehicles have more intrinsic danger

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I do this, although I'd advise against saying "Thank you". A guy I said that to thought I'd sworn at him (he lip read "F*** you", I guess) and chased me before stopping in front of me and threatening to hit me.

Be careful that any gesture you do make can't be misinterpreted - there are a lot of angry people out there.
Funnily enough, I thought of that myself a while back so I now always back up the words with a smile and a wave. I usually get a smile back.

subaqua

What’s the point
[/size]

As to the relative risk of car (or lorry) driver and cyclist, I think we can probably look at e.g. the procedures for stripping a bad driver of their licence. Latest I heard, this doesn't involve banning them from riding a bike or even from walking down the road on foot, which says to me at least that the government and judicial system believe motor vehicles have more intrinsic danger

regardless of how bad the riding was and whether they were the root cause of the accident. But as i said earlier there are some cyclists who beleive they couldn't possibly ever be in the wrong.

like the idiot ped who steps out without looking into the path of a car. car swerves to avoid and hits a cyclist hidden in his blind spot ( cos no cyclist ever does that Oh no )

lack of legislation to penalise people is not an accurate measure of risk

Dan B

Disengaged member
lack of legislation to penalise people is not an accurate measure of risk
Well, perhaps you have some statistcs for how often this happens from which we could accurately measure risk.

More pertinently, this is a thread about acknowledging good driving. The other thread on which you've weighed in with your demonstrably untrue "cyclists all think they're whiter than white" rant is (or was) about car drivers who jump red lights. Given that even if it were true it still wouldn't be relevant to either subject then it must obviously be a major issue for you or you wouldn't keep harping on about it - so why don't you start a thread to discuss that exactly instead of derailing everyone else's?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[/size]

:biggrin:

I think Subaqua's theory is simply wrong - I think that particular dangerous behaviours are largely produced by driving (and/or by the cultural meanings of driving). Cycling produces different behaviours, some of which might be objectionable (mostly towards pedestrians), but either way cars (or bicycles) are not just some kind of neutral conduit for pre-existing personality traits.

subaqua

What’s the point
Well, perhaps you have some statistcs for how often this happens from which we could accurately measure risk.

More pertinently, this is a thread about acknowledging good driving. The other thread on which you've weighed in with your demonstrably untrue "cyclists all think they're whiter than white" rant is (or was) about car drivers who jump red lights. Given that even if it were true it still wouldn't be relevant to either subject then it must obviously be a major issue for you or you wouldn't keep harping on about it - so why don't you start a thread to discuss that exactly instead of derailing everyone else's?

nope never said all cyclists think they are whiter than white . just that a lot beleive they are.

can you demonstrate anything to prove or disprove either of the statements above.

if you had read the other posts i have here you will see that i always acknowledge good driving . similarly if you read the posts corrctly in the RLJ thread you will see I detest all those who RLJ.

you may also understand why am annoyed at the " holier than thou" attitude of some ( note NOT ALL) cyclists when your wife gets struck by one when she is heavily pregnant whilst crossing at a zebra crossing which leads onto the loss. although of course riding recklessly and not obeying the law or thinking you are above the law as a cyclist isn't an issue is it. but i forgive the cyclunt who rode into her and then left the scene without even stopping to see if she was OK. I did try and run after him but that was a waste of time. had he been a driver i could have goty a number plate detail to help the police track him down.

thats why those that run red lights , etc annoy me. I am sure the cyclist always thought it won't happen to me. i am fine to break the law

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think that particular dangerous behaviours are largely produced by driving (and/or by the cultural meanings of driving). Cycling produces different behaviours, some of which might be objectionable (mostly towards pedestrians), but either way cars (or bicycles) are not just some kind of neutral conduit for pre-existing personality traits.

I think there's a particular British attitude to road use that affects everyone to a greater or lesser degree - you see it more in drivers because there's so little to restrain the expression of it, (in terms of physical or legal consequences) but I've seen it in cyclists too.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, really I am. But I'm equally at a loss to see how you hope to achieve anything by complaining about "holier than thou" attitudes on threads where nobody else is displaying them. In the circumstances I don't know what to say that you won't read as me trying to patronise you, but I still don't feel that your posts on this subject in this forum on these threads are in any way constructive.

subaqua

What’s the point
I try and be constructive , but its the pervading attitude of Motor car bad cycle good.

they can both wreak havoc in the wrong hands and just as seriously as each other.

comments such as "!my mate heard from a friend of his in a pub in the 20th century" , keep pushing the stereotypes . which is patently obblocks

WJHall

Über Member
A brief wave of acknowledgement never does any harm, drivers do it all the time. In fact sometimes I acknowledge the courtesy even if I suspect they were really giving way to the car behind me. It might sow the seeds of an idea....

In fact, just like real drivers, ostentatiously moving out of their way, with a brief wave, can also sow useful ideas....

Top Bottom