Actors you dislike but like in a certain movie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
dellzeqq said:
John Wayne in The Searchers. It is, in some ways, a vile film (but a great film) and you get the feeling that the director has somehow got underneath the smug veneer that Wayne carried through most of his career, and uncovered something much bleaker.

Wayne was in some fine films - 'The Man who Shot Liberty Valance' being one, but in that he's just a posturing ninny.
No no no - John Wayne never played anyone but John Wayne, but he played him brilliantly. The Shootist, the last film he made, with Lauren Bacall, is a quiet classic, and as for True Grit, well, I could never tire of that movie. "Fill your hands you son of a bitch!"

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Patrick Swayze - In Point Break,

He is a crap actor and I hate his flicky/bouncy hair, but he was great in that movie and we named our son after him (His character Bodhi, not Patrick).

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm not a big fan of James Caan but as Sonny Corleone in the Godfather, he was perfect.

U

User482

I was going to nominate Jim Carey, but then I remembered him in Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and the Truman Show.

Then I thought of Leonardo Di Caprio, but remembered him in Catch Me If You Can, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and Romeo & Juliet (yes, really).

Which brings me to Tom Hanks. There is a handful of films he hasn't completely ruined (Road to Perdition, Catch me if you can, Charlie Wilson's War) but only because his tedious blandless didn't detract too much from other, more enjoyable aspects of the films.

Brahan

Über Member
yello said:
Can I nominate Nicole Kidman? She annoys me in most films I've ever seen her in, and I really cannot understabd the accolades she gets

YES! Good call.

I don't get her at all. She's just bland, pasty faced and forgettable.

bikie

Über Member
I don't like Russell crowe but i did like Gladiator

Greedo

Can't abide Robin Williams. Hate him. People who have to do funny voices and jump around are hiding their true self. Have to turn over the TV if he's on being interviewed.

However, saying that, Dead Poets Society is class and he's brilliant in it.

He's also excellent in Good Will Hunting and believe it or not made me laugh in Mrs Doubtfire (Niece and nephew made me watch it! Honest)

Blackandblue

Greedo said:
Can't abide Robin Williams. Hate him. People who have to do funny voices and jump around are hiding their true self. Have to turn over the TV if he's on being interviewed.

He's also excellent in Good Will Hunting and believe it or not made me laugh in Mrs Doubtfire (Niece and nephew made me watch it! Honest)

Each to their own. I think he's hilarious. Grew up on Mork and Mindy - a show that was written for him (a bit like Sgt Bilko was written for Phil Silvers).

I used to go watch the recordings of Clive Anderson Talks Back and one of the them included an interview with him - he was unstoppable. At the end of the interview he just got up and carried on with the audience. Ad libbing and larking around.

O/T but the other great recording I saw was Peter Cook's last TV appearance - also on Clive Anderson Talks Back.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Blackandblue said:
I used to go watch the recordings of Clive Anderson Talks Back and one of the them included an interview with him - he was unstoppable. At the end of the interview he just got up and carried on with the audience. Ad libbing and larking around.

O/T but the other great recording I saw was Peter Cook's last TV appearance - also on Clive Anderson Talks Back.

I saw the Basil Brush show being filmed when I was at school! xx(

ChrisKH

Guru
I can't stand Helen Mirren personally (insufferable snob who always looks down on her Essex roots) but I have to give her credit for some of her films and television work.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Greedo said:
I love the Family Guy take-off, where Brian is teaching the no-hopers: "I could be a street-sweeper?" "I could be a hooker?"

Top Bottom