Advice needed - Bike seized

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

simpso

What has happened is the bike has gone to the city central detaining station and the case has reverted to the station for which the original bike theft from five months ago was handled.
The officer I'm trying to get through to about is a responder so its really awkward to get him.
I am going to go down to the station where this officer is based tomorrow.
Take my evidence and hopefully get it sorted.
Only snag is tthough its in the ghetto . so I'll probably lose my car while I'm down there.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
What has happened is the bike has gone to the city central detaining station and the case has reverted to the station for which the original bike theft from five months ago was handled.
The officer I'm trying to get through to about is a responder so its really awkward to get him.
I am going to go down to the station where this officer is based tomorrow.
Take my evidence and hopefully get it sorted.
Only snag is tthough its in the ghetto . so I'll probably lose my car while I'm down there.
Forget that one. Get to where the bike is held. Chances are he'll not be at the station if you went to the station he works from anyway.

classic33

Leg End Member
I the police have taken property off someone and then lost/misplaced it, and that individual can then prove they bought the same bike as they said at the time, what come back would an individual have?
Proof it was taken in the first place. Normally in the form of the receipt given for the item.
After that proof is given, their insurance should eventually make good any loss.

OP
OP
S

simpso

Forget that one. Get to where the bike is held. Chances are he'll not be at the station if you went to the station he works from anyway.

Will they deal with me and my evidence though or try and push me to the case officer?

Interesting. I wouldn't hesitate to co-operate with police and provide my details etc, but I just don't think someone waving a picture and a receipt of the same model links the OP's bike to the one reported stolen. The police might just as well seize every silver Carrera in size 56 or whatever and make the person riding it prove they own it. I don't see a basis for any suspicion or belief.

And please remember, at least 2 current officers on her, including me agree with you - but we weren't there!

I sympathise with the OP and have sent you a PM with some advice to try and speed things up.

OP
OP
S

simpso

Central station is where I'd head, and where I have done in the past. Didn't even consider going to where the officer worked from.
Ive emailed the officer direct with all the details, if i dont hear anything ill go straight to the detaining office tomorrow with my paperwork.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The fact the officer dealing is a responder is not your problem.
If I were in this situation I would ask for the matter to be referred to the duty inspector, point out that you have co-operated fully, offered to provide compelling evidence that the bike is legitimately yours and have been deprived of your property/transport for an excessive amount of time when the matter could have been simply resolved in minutes once you'd produced the receipt.
If the duty inspector is not available, ask for them to call you back within the hour and advise that if no call is forthcoming you will be forced to instigate a formal complaint.
From what has been posted on here, you have behaved reasonably and co-operated throughout, even when you may not have had ground to do so.
It seems like now may be the right time to politely assert your rights.

classic33

Leg End Member
The fact the officer dealing is a responder is not your problem.
If I were in this situation I would ask for the matter to be referred to the duty inspector, point out that you have co-operated fully, offered to provide compelling evidence that the bike is legitimately yours and have been deprived of your property/transport for an excessive amount of time when the matter could have been simply resolved in minutes once you'd produced the receipt.
If the duty inspector is not available, ask for them to call you back within the hour and advise that if no call is forthcoming you will be forced to instigate a formal complaint.
From what has been posted on here, you have behaved reasonably and co-operated throughout, even when you may not have had ground to do so.
It seems like now may be the right time to politely assert your rights.
Duty Inspector, the first rung on the Formal Complaint ladder.

Top Bottom