Advice needed - Bike seized

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I assumed the bike had been previously reported stolen.

In this case, you assume correctly. From the very first post:

"The police also confirmed the guy who was accusing me had had a bike stolen five months before."

Given that, I don't understand why it couldn't have been sorted out there and then. Surely the copper could have got on the radio to HQ to ascertain the frame number of the stolen bike. Job done.

OP
OP
S

simpso

HI Guys,
phone the police last night and its being dealt with by one officer who had sadly gone off duty until 3 pm today.
Been told to wait till then to present my evidence.

Hopefully i will have this sorted at sometime today.
Being there i am going with it was the easiest option for the police to take my bike to calm the other three people down.
Still annoying though. Three hours late for work and a walk home.
Funny thing was it was my last day out on the bike also as i am changing jobs today.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
HI Guys,
phone the police last night and its being dealt with by one officer who had sadly gone off duty until 3 pm today.
Been told to wait till then to present my evidence.

Hopefully i will have this sorted at sometime today.
Being there i am going with it was the easiest option for the police to take my bike to calm the other three people down.
Still annoying though. Three hours late for work and a walk home.
Funny thing was it was my last day out on the bike also as i am changing jobs today.

You are plotting your way through a potentially difficult situation very well.

I do think you were badly done to at the roadside, but the task now is to get the bike back with minimum fuss.

Best way to achieve that is do as you are doing, go with the flow, be polite and helpful.

No harm in having a little grumble, but don't do that until after the bike is safely back in your possession.

OP
OP
S

simpso

You are plotting your way through a potentially difficult situation very well.

I do think you were badly done to at the roadside, but the task now is to get the bike back with minimum fuss.

Best way to achieve that is do as you are doing, go with the flow, be polite and helpful.

No harm in having a little grumble, but don't do that until after the bike is safely back in your possession.

I assumed if i did complain about the false accusation, id just get a , "oh we are sorry"... response anyways.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I assumed if i did complain about the false accusation, id just get a , "oh we are sorry"... response anyways.
What have they accused you of though? There is a difference between taking possession of your bike, and accusing you of stealing it. If they suspected you of theft then they would have detained you along with the bike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

As I mentioned upthread, a formal complaint would be taken seriously in that a senior officer would look into it.

You may or may not like his decision, but your complaint would be properly looked at.

Deciding whether to complain or not is a matter for you.

It depends on how strongly you feel about it, and if you are prepared to go to the time and trouble of form filling, making a statement/being interviewed by the officer appointed to deal with it.

On any view, it's not a serious case of misconduct so you could not be criticised if you simply want to put the matter behind you as soon as possible.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
As @JMAG says get it registered with www.immobilise.com then you have all the info plus photos and also chip it then all they need to do is scan it to prove it is yours.

I am afraid if that had been me I would have told the police officer to get stuffed there is no way he would get my bike with out placing me under arrest and charging me with theft first, which would be difficult unless they can prove I stole my own property.

I find the whole thing totally bizarre and make sure they apologize when they realize they are wrong.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Anyhoooo; back to the OP and his original question. "Advice needed - Bike seized".
Buy a tin of this......

wd-40-smart-straw-voc-12oz_straw_up_right.png

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Anyhoooo; back to the OP and his original question. "Advice needed - Bike seized".
Buy a tin of this......

wd-40-smart-straw-voc-12oz_straw_up_right.png

And it's now got a smart straw.

I must buy a tin, even though I don't use the stuff.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As @JMAG says get it registered with www.immobilise.com then you have all the info plus photos and also chip it then all they need to do is scan it to prove it is yours.

I am afraid if that had been me I would have told the police officer to get stuffed there is no way he would get my bike with out placing me under arrest and charging me with theft first, which would be difficult unless they can prove I stole my own property.

I find the whole thing totally bizarre and make sure they apologize when they realize they are wrong.
That would have been my attitude too. I find this whole story a bit bizarre.

Out of interest, did you have
That would have been my attitude too. I find this whole story a bit bizarre.

Actually the power of arrest for theft (on suspicion) requires less proof than the power of seizure (on belief)...

Not saying I'd have seized the bike on the circumstances given - just pointing out a refusal and an "arrest me instead" might not work out to well!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

Actually the power of arrest for theft (on suspicion) requires less proof than the power of seizure (on belief)...

Not saying I'd have seized the bike on the circumstances given - just pointing out a refusal and an "arrest me instead" might not work out to well!

I wouldnt have refused any information and would have been more than happy for an officer to take me home to get ID but there is no way someone is walking off with my property without giving me the chance to prove it is mine.

JMAG

Über Member

Interesting. I wouldn't hesitate to co-operate with police and provide my details etc, but I just don't think someone waving a picture and a receipt of the same model links the OP's bike to the one reported stolen. The police might just as well seize every silver Carrera in size 56 or whatever and make the person riding it prove they own it. I don't see a basis for any suspicion or belief.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Look at it the other way though if you called the police after seeing your stolen bike then the police allowed the thief to ride off into the sunset .

No win situation for the plod IMHO.

Personally I would want compensation for my lost time in work and any transport costs incurred .

Top Bottom