Advice needed - Bike seized

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

simpso

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I have to wait for the officer in charge of the investigation to come duty tomorrow afternoon before I can do anything apparently.
Hopefully it will all be sorted by then, never even considered the police possibly being wrong in seizing it. I guess it was the easiest option for them.

Made me think though how someone could point at anything and produce a picture and receipt and you lose them because you can't proove there and then it's yours.
Trainers come to mind or something like that.

Does anyone think I can't put a complaint in against the accusers when I get the bike back. Lost two hours of work, had to. Walk home, inconvenience all down to them seeing a bike which is the same colour.

One thing they said that made me really suspicious is they noticed my handle bar was bent and they claimed they bent the bar on their bike so they could prove it was theres if it ever got stolen....

Ah what a day :smile:

kiriyama

I don't know what I would do in that situation. .. If I knew 100% that the bike was mine, which mine are, I wouldn't even give it to the police. How well that would go down with them, and how much trouble I'd get in, I don't know! Ha. Hope you get thebike back and a sincere apology from the police and the accuser. ..

OP
OP
S

simpso

Have CashConverters been contacted yet. They keep records of all sales, including who brought it in.

How close to what you bought do the receipts from Halfords come to what was seized. I'd be contacting Halfords for proof of what they supplied in the order to you. This will be on record, for stock purposes at the least.
The invoice, has the date of purchase the make and model. I then have a picture two days later of that bike attached to my facebook account. Feel I will need daily pictures of me with the bike .... And a newspaper from now one :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
The invoice, has the date of purchase the make and model. I then have a picture two days later of that bike attached to my facebook account. Feel I will need daily pictures of me with the bike .... And a newspaper from now one :smile:
They should have been able to supply those details, in full to you as well. Backing up what you are saying.
Producing a receipt becomes a handy way off getting a second item(that has been saved for you) for nothing, in busy shops.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I can't understand this.

Were you arrested and cautioned? I can't see how the police would have the power to just take your bike from you without doing that. And if it was an online purchase there will be a record on both yours and the sellers PC.

OP
OP
S

simpso

I can't understand this.

Were you arrested and cautioned? I can't see how the police would have the power to just take your bike from you without doing that. And if it was an online purchase there will be a record on both yours and the sellers PC.

No I wasnt arrested or anything. I'm a bit naive to the way it works and I was led to believe they were seizing it as I couldnt 100% prove there and then by serial number no that the bike was mine. Even though the officer said he's sure this is my bike but can't let me ride it away with out the proof.

classic33

Leg End Member
No I wasnt arrested or anything. I'm a bit naive to the way it works and I was led to believe they were seizing it as I couldnt 100% prove there and then by serial number no that the bike was mine. Even though the officer said he's sure this is my bike but can't let me ride it away with out the proof.
Did you get his number and a receipt for the property he was taking from him? I've seldom had "proof" that the bike I'm riding on is mine.

In all of this, one thing stands out. Hindsight is wonderful. Not having a go at anyone, but with hindsight its easy to see where you'd have done something else. With this in mind, how about a small plastic bag inserted in some part of the frame, with something only you should be able to get. Doesn't have to be personal information.

Anybody know where hindsight can be purchased?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

simpso

Did you get his number and a receipt for the property he was taking from him?
I was given a crime reference with a contact number, that's about it.
It was a bit all over the place as we dealt with the travel police and then the west mids police came and took over as they were dealing with the original bike theft case from five months ago. It was the west mids police that took the bike and told me where they were taking it but then they said another station would be the one dealing with the case.

classic33

Leg End Member
I can't understand this.

PC not with him when bike was seized though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have photos of my bike and frame number accessible from my phone, and identifying photos (plus loads of photos on here going back years). And the frame is postcode marked to the shop I bought it from who would still recognise me to corroborate my version. I'm obviously paranoid that this could happen to me!

I hope you get it all sorted tomorrow!

classic33

Leg End Member
I was given a crime reference with a contact number, that's about it.
It was a bit all over the place as we dealt with the travel police and then the west mids police came and took over as they were dealing with the original bike theft case from five months ago. It was the west mids police that took the bike and told me where they were taking it but then they said another station would be the one dealing with the case.
You got numbers for both stations, not forces? BTP headquarters number is on my handset as well as regional offices.

Top Bottom