Advice on locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Leave one lock at your usual destination attached to something secure. A lot of people do this to save carrying a lock about.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Leave one lock at your usual destination attached to something secure. A lot of people do this to save carrying a lock about.

If you do this, inspect it EVERY time you use it. If its left, someone could quite easily tamper with it and wait you out to make it an easy theft when you lock your bike up.

It's very easy to miss things which would usually be very obvious once you get into a routine and start to get complacent.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
you can't leave it at that, at the moment I've got an image of lubrication bad but crushed pencil good....you need to elaborate

N68JB.jpg

other graphite lock lubricants are available.

Davidc

Guru
Hmm, haven't heard that before.

I'll get some and remember your advice in future.

I've never had many problems with locks, but I'm happy to take advice from those with the right knowledge and use the stuff designed for the job.

People

DO NOT use oil or any other liquid lubricant ON LOCKS. The lock will sieze, the key will jam or break, and there will be much wailing and grinding of teeth.

Graphite, in powered form, is the name of the game.

Oh well I learn something every day; two or three years ago I had a lock that was a wee bit gritty so I put a small bit of Finish Line on the key and its been grand since.

deggers

People

DO NOT use oil or any other liquid lubricant ON LOCKS. The lock will sieze, the key will jam or break, and there will be much wailing and grinding of teeth.

Not to disagree, just to offer a different opinion- I regularly squirt wd40 or motorcycle chain lube down the inside of my sold secure motorbike lock. Its 4 years old and kept outside in all weathers-opens like a charm every time.

Manonabike

Über Member
I use pitlock QRs and one of these D locks http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/acatalog/Kryptonite_New_York_Fahgettaboudit_U_Locks.html - The idea behind the mini locks is that by the time you lock your bike there's no room for a mini jack, which is the favourite way of thieves to brake a D lock.

I also have one of these on another bike http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/acatalog/Kryptonite_Evolution_Mini_U_Locks.html This was the first D lock I ever bought.

Mini D locks are not the easiest for finding a suitable place to lock your bike to but I don't mind spending an extra minute looking for a suitable place :biggrin:

Mad at urage

People

My understanding (and I have heard this before, from locksmiths) was that this is true of house locks, because these are lubricated very rarely (only when the lock is removed from the door) and therefore spend a lot of time potentially gathering dust from the environment without cleaning and lubrication.

Bike locks are working in an entirely different environment. Locks are pretty simple mechanical devices (compared say, to hub gears) and lubricating with a thin oil isn't going to harm the metal and if the lock is (as deggers says) frequently cleaned through, muck won't build up and jam. Light lubrication and water disperser has worked for me for years.

tyred

Legendary Member
You do learn something new everyday. I've happily lubed many locks of all sorts with 3 in 1, WD40 or any other light oil that comes to hand at the time and never had a single problem.

tbtb

The Abus (google says) costs way more than the Krypto (£50ish vs £30ish).

The old two lock advice was to have two different types of lock. Forces the thief to carry two types of tool, supposedly. Personally, imho, it's weight vs security. I'm stopping at 1 d lock and hex key / security skewer wheels until I lose a bike or two.

Randochap

Senior hunter
I think Abus have eclipsed Kryptonite as the most bombproof systems ... in the higher end. Their bouble locking mech is second to none. I've sold plenty of the Abus locks.

Having said that, I use a 30 year-old Kryptonite.
ohmy.gif

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
[QUOTE 1335837"]
The front wheel is non QR.
[/quote]

Just because you don't use QR, doesn't mean the rest of us do.

If you state that one lock is enough, then add that you are also using security skewers.

Top Bottom