Agonising over which touring bike to buy for 1k solo tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Another one here for Ridgeback. I bought a Ridgeback World Tour 'Voyage' last year - £799rrp reduced to £510.
Apart from changing the saddle, I haven't had to alter anything; although I'm considering upgrading the brakes. Done several long rides on it and it's
very comfortable.
Off in 2 weeks time for a tour around Devon.^_^
IMG_20151219_122043.jpg

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks for that Biggs682, I just took a look at the Stanforth site, these look like pro touring and expedition bikes, well worth a look...my shortlist is expanding! Cheers.
might also consider Lee Cooper Cylces

Gez73

Veteran
I have a Sutra (2015). Would recommend that, but then everyone will recommend the bike they use/like the look of. Did consider Dawes too before buying the Sutra but never really looked into them in any great detail. Definitely get to sit and try whatever bike you think will suit. Brooks saddles can be hit and miss for different people too, don't let that addition dictate your choice. Included extras like racks tend to be towards the cheaper end of what is out there. Steel always preferred over aluminium for racks, goodluck with the choosing. Gez
4C3C129575D8670CE5440C3E4D39DF3C.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A serious question, does bike fit really matter that much? Isn't it just a case of adapting?
Fair enough if you've particular needs or need to squeeze out racing times. But for most of us typical riders don't our bodies just, you know, get used to a position, if we build up our mileage sensibly.
And if you read the crazy guy site, bike types don't really seem to matter that much either, as long as they're robust enough for the job at hand.
I think if your going to be spending long hard miles on a bike, fit is very very important. For me to the point that I had to go custom build to get what I needed. I would say it's absolutely spot on.
Now I'm relatively long in the back and end up having my saddles right back on the rails on the most laid back seat posts and then a long reach. I can get off the shelf frames to fit in this manner but they're never quite ever spot-on and I tend to develop lower back pain as the miles increase.
I've just done made the final adjustment required on the Rourke (10mm shorter stem as originally designed) and ridden140 miles and without any lower back pain. The bike now fits like a glove, rides well and handles a treat. Due to modern bikes having steeper seat angles I've never had bike to fit like this Since my late 50s Holdsworth.

So depending on body shape and riding style I'd say getting the fit and ride/handling as near perfect from the start before you part with cash.

OP
OP
SteveThomas

SteveThomas

Regular
I don't know if you test rode the LHT before you bought it but whichever one you choose, try and test ride it. The jury is normally split on this and I think it's fine to buy unseen if you know what fits and suits but in your case buying sight unseen might be a recipe for another brief relationship. For instance that Surly mentions toe overlap, for many this is not an issue but it might be for you or it might not, you won't know until you try it. So if you can't test ride it, bearing in mind you need to get on for a 1000 miles very soon, don't consider it, is my tuppence worth.

Exactly! I had no opportunity for test riding the Surly LHT before I ordered it, I did my research and went with this bike on the strength of the positive reviews in the biking press. Settling on the right bike is very subjective and should be based on rider experience in the context of a long test ride. I won't make the same mistake again for sure! I have been in training for endurance for the past 6 months so fitness is not an issue, but I will have to sort my ride out asap and become acquainted with it.

doog

A serious question, does bike fit really matter that much? Isn't it just a case of adapting?
Fair enough if you've particular needs or need to squeeze out racing times. But for most of us typical riders don't our bodies just, you know, get used to a position, if we build up our mileage sensibly.
And if you read the crazy guy site, bike types don't really seem to matter that much either, as long as they're robust enough for the job at hand.

Nail on head. You can tour on anything within reason and as long as you initial set up is okay your body adapts.

Exactly! I had no opportunity for test riding the Surly LHT before I ordered it, I did my research and went with this bike on the strength of the positive reviews in the biking press. Settling on the right bike is very subjective and should be based on rider experience in the context of a long test ride. I won't make the same mistake again for sure! I have been in training for endurance for the past 6 months so fitness is not an issue, but I will have to sort my ride out asap and become acquainted with it.
And I didn't mean the Surly when I mentioned toe overlap but the Kona. The Surly won't have toe overlap, it's one of the longest bikes on the planet (compare it's chain stay length to any of the others you listed or even other tourers).

And another vote for Spa. I travelled 200 miles to test ride and buy my bike there. Some things are worth the effort.

Gez73

Veteran
I haven't noticed toe overlap on the Sutra but maybe I am unconsciously keeping the cranks vertical when turning. I found it perfect straight from the shop. I did decide to use a proper shop just in case there was any issues but thankfully all is well. A very comfy ride too even on Marathon Plus 35mm tyres. Gez

I have a Sutra and love it. It is a 2008 model: so fitting mudguards is tricky and when you do get them fitted there is toe overlap, ohh, and the megaexo bottom bracket is made of cheese and was purchased after throwing my leg over it in Evans..but ....I love it. It is a beautiful blue colour and I'm happy to ride it anywhere in any weather.

The point, if there is one, is that if you love the bike you will ride and enjoy it and that, for me at least, this matters more than the "right" specification. As for fit, this can be tweaked,

There is not a "bad" bike among the ones you mention, so see them in the flesh and see which one jumps out and screams buy me.

Plus if you get a Sutra you get to make a great pun based on the Meaning of Sutra in Serbian and the literary oeuvre of Louisan Bobet's brother....but that might just be me:shy:

Bikerta

I have a Thorn Sherpa and love the bike. I have a problem of short arm reach, so the Dawes Galaxy I bought had too long a top tube and caused me shoulder and neck problems. I went to SJS and they took loads of measurements and then put me on a Thorn Raven with Rohloff Hub for a test ride.

I then collected the bike after approx 4 weeks and after a few slight tweaks I took my Sherpa out for a test ride to make sure all was well. I ended up with a short frame and flat bars - the short frames are usually for the drop bars and longer frames for flat bars, but due to my short arms, this ended up being the best fit. I then completed JOGLE on the Sherpa and it was great both on road and off. This is of course a 26" wheeled bike. Can't recommend it enough.

OP
OP
SteveThomas

SteveThomas

Regular
I have a Thorn Sherpa and love the bike. I have a problem of short arm reach, so the Dawes Galaxy I bought had too long a top tube and caused me shoulder and neck problems. I went to SJS and they took loads of measurements and then put me on a Thorn Raven with Rohloff Hub for a test ride.

I then collected the bike after approx 4 weeks and after a few slight tweaks I took my Sherpa out for a test ride to make sure all was well. I ended up with a short frame and flat bars - the short frames are usually for the drop bars and longer frames for flat bars, but due to my short arms, this ended up being the best fit. I then completed JOGLE on the Sherpa and it was great both on road and off. This is of course a 26" wheeled bike. Can't recommend it enough.
The Thorn Sherpa looks really interesting as an option, it appears to be a bike that has been 'built for purpose' rather than aesthetics, although to be fair it looks rather good in red, I think I will check this out. When I took possession of the Surly LHT it just felt very showy in its reflective black paintwork along with the chrome brightwork, it was definitely not a bike that I felt comfortable leaving chained to a post outside, it gathered a lot of attention, its not something that you need when you are on a road tour and having to leave the bike unattended for periods of time. Thanks for the insight on the bike.

Top Bottom