Aldi becomes Britain’s fourth-largest supermarket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Morrisons and Aldi near me - I shop as local as possible. I used up the end of a bag of Asda peas in our freezer the other night - can't remember when we shopped in Asda for years. :hyper:

PS the freezer is new, so it's come from the old machine. Currently doing 'freezer surprise' for lunch -
:rolleyes:

Going around my local supermarket (a Tesco as it happens), it's surprising how much branded stuff people put in their trolleys. If that's the starting point, then yes, the "discounters" will be decidedly cheaper on a similar shop.

But if, like me, you tend to buy mainly fresh ingredients and supermarket own brand anyway, and you compare the price per kilo of things as a matter of course, then Aldi (and Lidl) are actually much of a muchness with the bigger players. It's swings and roundabouts across the range - some things are cheaper, but others are more expensive. A lot of it though, is about perception.

Where Aldi and Lidl do score IMHO, is on the continental deli and cheese that you can't get elsewhere. Or can only otherwise get in Waitrose at a vastly inflated price.

gbb

Legendary Member
I vividly remember the 'shame' people exuded of being seen in Aldi :laugh:
When the first Aldi opened in Peterborough (seems a long time ago now) i went in for a look and bumped into the directors secretary (obsolete term now ? but that was her job title then) and she went almost instantly on the defensive :laugh:...ooh, i don't normally come in here :blush:
I couldnt have given a monkeys myself.

Sharky

Guru
I am surprised that Waitrose is now only 8th largest supermarket with just 4.7% of the market share.

I'm not.
Our local Waitrose recently has loads of unavailable items, their BB dates are very short, stopped doing free coffees and their system of selecting coupons using the app is so fiddly, that my OH is threatening to go else where for our main shop.

Our local Coop is gaining our custom. Open until 10pm, BB dates much longer and their coupon system much easier to use.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I rarely shop in Morrisons now.
Ever since the company sold me on to an out-sourced third party contractor I couldn't give a flying fig even if they get bought out (again, as they are now American owned) by Mike Ashley.
Let's hope they drop down below Waitrose.

Jameshow

Veteran
Yeap all the big 4 were out maneuvered by Lidl and Aldi.

Midi sized stores with minimum staff working a flexible system of shelf filling and tills.

Limited packaging around the products to speed up replenishment.

Aggressive growth into upmarket areas where you would expect a discount supermarket. Areas where Waitrose should have gone but weren't visionary enough.

I bet the head office is pretty lean too compared to spaceship Morrisons Asda etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeap all the big 4 were out maneuvered by Lidl and Aldi.

Midi sized stores with minimum staff working a flexible system of shelf filling and tills.

Limited packaging around the products to speed up replenishment.

Aggressive growth into upmarket areas where you would expect a discount supermarket. Areas where Waitrose should have gone but weren't visionary enough.

I bet the head office is pretty lean too compared to spaceship Morrisons Asda etc.

Lidl’s new Uk HO is near me, cycle past regularly. It’s pretty large!
https://corporate.lidl.co.uk/media-centre/pressreleases/2022/lidl-moves-to-tolworth.
They are a lean operation compared to the bigger ones, they sell far less stuff, especially non food
I imagine their German HO is rather larger too

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We got one here a couple of years ago yet I still find I continue using the Co-op. Went to Aldi a few times when it opened but it doesn’t impress me that much. Fruit and veg never seemed to last and very short shelf life on a lot of stuff.

I find the opposite as Aldi stuff lasts longer than the more expensive Coop. We are out in the sticks of course so there is a tendency I suspect to palm off all sorts of rubbish on us as there is currently no competition. I did notice when touring that quality of some items went down the further away you were. South and North Uist come to mind.

Top Bottom