Aldi becomes Britain’s fourth-largest supermarket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Our local Waitrose recently has loads of unavailable items, their BB dates are very short, stopped doing free coffees and their system of selecting coupons using the app is so fiddly,
Have 50p off milk this week so worth the faff via the web site rather than app plus as always a free newspaper every day if I could be bothered. Just pick Saturdays up for the TV guide. Tried the Tesco app for its stock checker as only have Tesco Express's which invariably have everything other than what I want. As soon I asked to check stock it dumped me onto their web site telling me to install the app:wacko:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
On the rare occasions we have ventured into an Aldi my wife has already bought some fruit. loke someone posted earlier, it never seems to last.

Maybe that’s a good thing? Not irradiated or something, but she wants something that means only one main shop a week.

Aldi round here is too hit and miss so we’ll stick with our usual supermarket.

PK99

Legendary Member
The only supermarket to use in Kendal is:
https://www.booths.co.uk/store/kendal/

Pretentious and over-priced. Small chain that does not have the buying power of the biggest players in the market.
[/QUOTE]

They do not try to force down prices, they focus to a large degree on quality and local suppliers:

Welcome​

Do you have a product you think we might be interested in selling in our stores?
At Booths, we’ve built our reputation on sourcing great quality, unique local produce and backing our suppliers. We rely on people like you, and we understand that in order to stay ahead of our competitors we have to keep sourcing the best.
That’s why we’ve developed this website. It’s to give you, our potential suppliers, every opportunity to secure a meeting with us. We’ve included all the information you need, plus we’ve set up an easy online application form for you to tell us a bit about what you do.

https://supply.booths.co.uk/

AndyRM

XOXO
There's an Aldi around the corner from me where I get most of my supplies. I'm very partial to their Weissbeir which at £1.50 a bottle you can't really go wrong with.

Had a strange experience last time I was in, an elderly woman rammed her trolley into my ankle and then blamed me for it. I'm 6'1" and although not a particularly wide person, I'm not exactly inconspicuous... I'd have let that slide, perhaps she had vision problems, but then she went off on one about my tattoos and how I was working class scum covered in offensive lines. I thought about pointing out we were both shopping in the same place, but life's too short so I left her ranting away in the middle of the aisle.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There's an Aldi around the corner from me where I get most of my supplies. I'm very partial to their Weissbeir which at £1.50 a bottle you can't really go wrong with.

Had a strange experience last time I was in, an elderly woman rammed her trolley into my ankle and then blamed me for it. I'm 6'1" and although not a particularly wide person, I'm not exactly inconspicuous... I'd have let that slide, perhaps she had vision problems, but then she went off on one about my tattoos and how I was working class scum covered in offensive lines. I thought about pointing out we were both shopping in the same place, but life's too short so I left her ranting away in the middle of the aisle.

you've just got to laugh about people like that.

Lidl croissants are to die for, compared to any other supermarket bakery, around here anyway...

I know, their croissants are lush... Overall, their ISB is very good, although I find many of their pastries and cookies much too sweet.. I love their rye bread, which goes very well with their herrings in cream sauce. :blush: The cheese rolls are good too. :blush:

There's an Aldi in Ely that's recently been refurbished, but the nearest Lidls are in March and Huntingdon. Tesco here has recently expanded their continental / Polish range, so I'm far less likely to drive 40 mins each way to stock up in Lidl.

The "middle of Lidl" is handy though, I've bought some useful stuff over the years like kitchen scales, a silicone baking mat, a decent cycling jacket, rechargeable batteries and elastic hair bands. :blush: They're also one of the few places that seem to sell Provolone cheese.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Would be interesting to see some sort of market research to get an in-depth understanding of the change in market shares.

Alidi and Lidl stores are very strategically placed - usually on main roads leading into towns/cities and around off ramps. As opposed to your town-centre Tesco and Morrisons. I think that's part of the reason - people grabbing shopping on way from work rather than going to the busy part of town.

But agree it's good value stuff - as you would expect from a business looking to increase market share.

I know, their croissants are lush... Overall, their ISB is very good, although I find many of their pastries and cookies much too sweet.. I love their rye bread, which goes very well with their herrings in cream sauce. :blush: The cheese rolls are good too. :blush:

There's an Aldi in Ely that's recently been refurbished, but the nearest Lidls are in March and Huntingdon. Tesco here has recently expanded their continental / Polish range, so I'm far less likely to drive 40 mins each way to stock up in Lidl.

The "middle of Lidl" is handy though, I've bought some useful stuff over the years like kitchen scales, a silicone baking mat, a decent cycling jacket, rechargeable batteries and elastic hair bands. :blush: They're also one of the few places that seem to sell Provolone cheese.
Hmm I've never seen Provolone cheese in my nearest (3 miles by bike, mostly cyclepaths) Lidl. There again, I've never thought to look for it there.
Re the Middle of Lidl - I bought one of their 'Silvercrest' branded sewing machines for a friend's daughter's 16th birthday, back in 2014 when she was very keen on design, fashion etc. She ended up paying her way through Uni with it, making and altering clothing for groups similar to, but not, goth (something else where they wear impossibly frilly things ... something related to steampunk perhaps). It was still going strong when she graduated in 2019, all £69 of it! Remarkable given the expected lifespan of many electrical appliances nowadays - although nothing compared to the non-electrical sewing machines I've had the pleasure of using.

Mike_P

Guru
Aldi & Lidl give a 3 year guarantee on their electrical items, bit of a no brainer subject to one of them having stock (Aldi did)when my branded kettle packed in less than 2 years, that being a free just still in guarantee replacement for the original that also lasted less than 2 years.

Top Bottom