all google searches take me adverts...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MickL

Über Member
Possible spyware problem

Download This Program Install it and update it and then scan your PC. Do have an antivirus installed ? If not try www.avast.com its free and will protect your PC

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
i have adaware and spybot and the both tell me they cannot connect to www for updates!!!
spybot will not open at all!!

I am running avast and adaware atm
oh sh1t

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
yesterday i rebooted having removed some malware, but then i found i had lost any www connection, i dont know what happened, will have a look tomorrow

ACS

Legendary Member
May I suggest the following

I am assuming that you are using a windows operating system

1. Boot the computer into safe mode

2. Run your clean up software, sequentially starting with your anti virus

3. Note any warning messages.

4. When complete, restart the PC and in IE go to Tools>Internet>General>Set your home page back to http://www.google/co.uk and reboot.

5. See if the issue has gone away

6. If not go here . Follow the instructions and complete second AV sweep in DOS.

7. If all else fails get a copy of HiJackThis and PM me with a copy of the results and I will see if I can assist. Do not make any changes using HiJack This. It can do your registry some serious damage.

peanut

mr Mag00 said:
i have adaware and spybot and the both tell me they cannot connect to www for updates!!!
spybot will not open at all!!

I am running avast and adaware atm
oh sh1t
sounds like you have a particularly nasty virus I'm afraid.If its the one I got last year then it camer through one of the online XP anti virus programs you can download for free.

Be very careful when you download anything even when the sites look legit.

The virus takes over your browser and every time you try to download an antivirus or adware scanner it takes you to a false website that looks absolutely identical. The virus company have about 12 false websites with all the top names you would go for like AVG and NORTON and SYMANTEC and SPYSWEEPER etc

You cannot tell them from the real thing. You then inadvertently download more virus stuff.

Your only chance is to use the RESTORE facility before it is too late.
If you restore about 2 days before the problem and try that.
If the problem still exists then the virus has taken over your restore facility too.

Do not under any circumstances click on any websites that say they offer help with XP ANTIVIRUS because they are also virus websites that will download the virus. Nothing whatsoever will get rid of this virus if you have it already

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
it has frozen going through safe start up

????

peanut

mr Mag00 said:
it has frozen going through safe start up

????
Probably too late to do anything now other than format and start again.
You might get it to boot to bios and select defaults and reboot in safe mode but it looks like your boot files are toasted

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I found a trojan last week and used the restore facility - PC was ok until Today. Same problem as you with freeezing during startup (even in safe mode). I googled the problem after noting the file windows was failing to load.

Followed the advise on the forum I found - advising me to insert the XP CD. Select Recovery console and I ran the "chkdsk /p" command. This found and corrected the corrupted file. Booted fine thereafter.

Not sure if the loading problem is the same as mine (which was failing on a WINDOWSSystem32MUP file from what I can remember!

peanut

he's presumably either sorted or off line . Don't expect him back anytime soon to give us some thanks and feedback :wacko:

Top Bottom