All-road bike for £600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

j20nyh

Apologies for creating yet another 'what bike' thread but after some researching i've decided that I might be a bit limited to where I can go if I trade in my hybrid for a road bike and because I live in the countryside it's nice to go down the occasional gravel path / fire track.

So, i'm looking to buy what I think is called an All road bike, or an Adventure bike or a Gravel bike, from what I understand it's basically a road bike but with slightly wider tyres and disc brakes.

The majority of my cycling will be done on the road but l want something that can handle slightly rougher terrain for when I fancy a short cut. I won't be doing any cycling in wet or muddy conditions.

Budget is around £600, initially I was going to keep my hybrid and buy a road bike for around £500 but as this will serve all purposes I've decided to sell the hybrid which means i've got a little bit more money to spend.

Any help is much appreciated.

TIA

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Sounds like a reasonable ask- you'll struggle to do much better than something like a Specialized Tricross- especially for example this 2014 Triple chain ring one which is slap on your budget and will handle anything you throw at it, especially as it takes rack and guards incase you fancy some touring and is a good do it all work horse.

OP
OP
j20nyh

j20nyh

Thanks, I like the look of the Norco Threshold.

What is the difference between an All-road bike as described and a CX bike?

Cyclist33

OP
OP
j20nyh

j20nyh

Great bike indeed but as @vickster said I am indeed looking for something with drops.

Unfortunately the Norco that @helston90 posted is completely sold out in my size. Very annoying as it looked perfect for what I'm after and at a good price also!

The 2015 model of the same bike is available to buy in a few days http://m.evanscycles.com/products/norco/threshold-a3-2015-cyclocross-bike-ec072589 so thinking about going to have a look at it. How does it stack up against the previous 2014 model considering its retailing for £50 cheaper. Also how does it compare spec wise to the other options I have at the same price?

vickster

Legendary Member
What else are you looking at?

The two Norcos look almost the same spec wise. Maybe bikes are just little cheaper this year, £ stronger maybe?

Or Evans sold none at £650 so just dropped the price

You presumably realise the disc brakes are mechanical and not hydraulic on the Norco

OP
OP
j20nyh

j20nyh

I just meant similar bikes for around £600. Unfortunately most of the options that people have recommended are sold out in my size, probably due to the fact they're slightly older models that have been reduced. I realise at my budget my options are limited but is the Norco good value for money?

vickster

Legendary Member
Do some research and post some links of options you are considering. What size do you need?

Ref the Norco, go to Evans, test ride, decide :smile:

(personally I think it's an incredibly dull looking bike)

Top Bottom