Amstel Gold - *spoilers* for any idiot who thinks it may be about yellow beer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice to see the rainbow jersey come in first, and he deserved it. Looks like Boonen's day is done. Nibali had little to offer, apart from looking good on the bike. Keldermans continues to disappoint - I really thought he would kick on this year. Matthews went too soon, for me, and had done a bit too much before the final sprint. I still thought he would win it, but he didn't!

Rustybucket

Veteran

The Couch

Über Member
BMC should have let Van Avermaet work together wih Fuglsang.
One would expect him to beat Fuglsang on a punchy climb like the Cauberg and it wouldn't have been too bad for BMC to put some extra pressure on the other teams (who would have needed to quickly work together to bring them back)
I understand GIlbert was plan A (and plan A almost worked), still... it's never bad to anticipate on the actual race situation

I also wanted to highlight Alaphilippe who had a great result despite his young age and he actually still had quite a lot in the tank for the sprint, he was just sitting at the wrong side of the group to overtake a lot of people and was hindered by less strong men.

oldroadman

Veteran
BMC should have let Van Avermaet work together wih Fuglsang.
One would expect him to beat Fuglsang on a punchy climb like the Cauberg and it wouldn't have been too bad for BMC to put some extra pressure on the other teams (who would have needed to quickly work together to bring them back)
I understand GIlbert was plan A (and plan A almost worked), still... it's never bad to anticipate on the actual race situation

I also wanted to highlight Alaphilippe who had a great result despite his young age and he actually still had quite a lot in the tank for the sprint, he was just sitting at the wrong side of the group to overtake a lot of people and was hindered by less strong men.
It will be a good lesson then. races are not always won by the strongest. Race craft plays a big part too.
Matthews had too much to do, and it looked like the tank was almost empty with about 100 metres to go, he did well to get close.

oldroadman

Veteran
Top Bottom