An 11,000 pound bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I never get that line.

In this particular case the only really expensive "untested" kit is the frame. All the rest is, commonly known as, top end stuff, albeit I would expect campag super record EPS on it perhaps.

And the frame is clearly more specifically made than most carbon jobs.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
:ohmy::stop:

If I had a spare £11,000 in my pocket to spend on my cycling I'd buy and refurbish a nice old steel touring bike, kit out with good panniers, etc and spend the money I saved on the cycling holiday of a lifetime:okay:
If I had that sort of spare money, I wouldn't spend it on a bike as it would be wasted on me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It looks like a lovely bike. As it's an assemblage of expensive high end bits it's not surprising it's expensive. Nor is it surprising that it's good.

I'm not at all interested in a new bike though, regardless of price, as there's absolutely nothing wrong with my bike. But I don't mind reading about them.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The Guardian needs to get real, who is it trying to appeal to?
It's the Observer. And the answer to your question is "people who'd like to have, or do have, £11,000 to spend on a bike." Which includes some affluent left wing pensioners with decent pensions as well as some rich right wing managers who are oppressing the workers.

We rarely quibble when someone spends £20,000 on a brand-new car when a perfectly good second hand model can be had for £9,000. So why worry about the bike?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It's the Observer. And the answer to your question is "people who'd like to have, or do have, £11,000 to spend on a bike." Which includes some affluent left wing pensioners with decent pensions as well as some rich right wing managers who are oppressing the workers.

We rarely quibble when someone spends £20,000 on a brand-new car when a perfectly good second hand model can be had for £9,000. So why worry about the bike?
Exactly.

Spend 11k on a Hi Fi and everyone gasps with admiration, the same with photography gear. Spend it on a bike and the world is telling you that you've been ripped off, Halfords do one for £149.99.

Top Bottom