An 11,000 pound bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
11,000 lbs which I think is about five metric tons.
download.jpg

You must mean this bike.

Drago

Legendary Member
If you'd told me you were taking photos I'd have changed into something smarter.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
It's the Observer. And the answer to your question is "people who'd like to have, or do have, £11,000 to spend on a bike." Which includes some affluent left wing pensioners with decent pensions as well as some rich right wing managers who are oppressing the workers.

We rarely quibble when someone spends £20,000 on a brand-new car when a perfectly good second hand model can be had for £9,000. So why worry about the bike?

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier but currently out in Spain looking for a house to buy.
Do people like you describe really exist?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Sorry I couldn't reply earlier but currently out in Spain looking for a house to buy.
Do people like you describe really exist?
There are few rich right-wing managers who still oppress workers, yes. And given the number of people who are looking to spend some of their pension money on second homes, in Spain or elsewhere, yes there are also people with decent pensions.

The data's a bit out of date, but a couple of years ago the average price paid for a new car was £29,000. Someone is buying those cars - and anyone who can afford to buy a £29,000 new car can choose to afford an £11,000 bike and an £18,000 second-hand car instead.

There are few rich right-wing managers who still oppress workers, yes. And given the number of people who are looking to spend some of their pension money on second homes, in Spain or elsewhere, yes there are also people with decent pensions.

The data's a bit out of date, but a couple of years ago the average price paid for a new car was £29,000. Someone is buying those cars - and anyone who can afford to buy a £29,000 new car can choose to afford an £11,000 bike and an £18,000 second-hand car instead.

Or even spend £11,000 on a bike and nothing on a car.

We have just got rid of our(or more accurately the other halfs') and to a certain extent it's like having some shackles removed;no 'oh let's just pop in the car' and such like anymore,yes there will be times when it would be handy but realistically we don't need one so why have it for the sake of it.

There are plenty of people on our estate who have more than one car(and it's not an affluent estate) including Mercs,Audis and big 4X4's;bit more than £11,000 spent there.

As for the Alchemy,;it's a lovely thing and I would imagine the main cost of that frame would be tooling costs and having the frame made in the US rather than China.

Just as a comparison here's a di2 equipped (Chinese made frame) Dogma;

https://www.thebikerooms.com/pinare...rbon-red-689?gclid=CITk_qL78s8CFUSeGwod7xYG1w

So you are paying about £2,000 for the frame and some better wheels.

Would I get one if I had the cash? Probably not but that's my decision,wouldn't stop me bitching about anybody who did though.

Oh and who cares if the buyer isn't 'that' fit;lot's of people buy Ferraris,Porches etc and can't drive them as well as they can go.

Same for motorcycles,I had a Yamaha R1 for a while,enjoyed riding it but I didn't get anywere near it's capabilities on track or road(:whistle:);although 170mph down the main straight at Snetterton was a blast:becool::eek:.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
As a comment BTL on that piece points out, the price quoted is based on full consumer list prices for the components. If you bought the frame you could probably build it to the same spec cheaper.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Cyclechat guide to pricing cliches.

If the bike (or other product) costs more than you paid for your bike (or similar product): "A fool and their money are easily parted"
or
If the the bike (or other product) costs less than you paid for your bike (or similar product): "Buy cheap, buy twice".

If the bike (or other product) costs about the same as you paid for your bike (or similar product), then it's fantastic value for money.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

They're not buying £29k cars, they're buying £50k+ cars.

It's the likes of me spending ~£10k on our car that brings the average figure down to £29k.

And whether or not they can afford to buy those cars is a moot point since they're buying them on credit.

Top Bottom