An embarrassing problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

double0jedi

I'm am getting to the point where I am beginning to cycle a lot more than when I started, it is getting easier and a good few hours on the bike at the weekend is becoming the norm. I am really enjoying it but I seem to suffer, occasionally at first but now more and more often, with a bit of chaffing... down there ! . It is quite uncomfortable to say the least.
The other half has suggested that as I am one of those hairy buggers, the combination of sweat and hair maybe the problem. She suggested waxing! I can see a logic to this suggestion but at the same time I have to say it seems a bit extreme, I wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem and could offer a solution, or verify if hair removal is the answer.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
As @User259 says, also keep the 'area' very clean.

A consider your seat position as well.

Personally I never suffer terribly from chaffing but whenever I have been off the bike for more than a few weeks...like now...i get a proper sore arse...lasts about three rides and then all is well once more.

Last point...if chaffing is ongoing, perhaps have a break to allow recuperation.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Who needs a hairy arse anyway?!

ayceejay

Guru
Sweat and moisture is the breeding ground for - first soreness then a fungal infection, the most common area for this is where the inner thigh meets the groin. The problem solver is shorts with a pad that absorbs the sweat, don't use chamois creme but try to keep the area clean and dry. Wash your shorts often and yourself after every ride, dry your shorts outside on the clothes line. If you already have the soreness apply tea tree oil to the effected part after washing , if it is VERY sore tone the tea tree down with mineral oil and use a non perfumed soap. Try talcum powder as a lubricant if you need too.

Top Bottom