An embarrassing problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't usually tend to suffer with soreness for some reason, I think my head sweats that much, there's no fluid left to get down there, but on a ride to Paris last year, I was fair smarting at the top of my legs.

I decided for the next longish ride, I'd fuss myself up to some gel shorts.

Typically, the choice bewildered me but reading up, it seemed to be the moisture that was the main issue.

Being me once bewildered, I ignored it and hoped it would go away.

Unconnected, I was going to an event that involved borrowing a wet suit. I only had swimming shorts, so bought some trunks to wear. I pedalled to the event with my trunks on under ordinary shorts and found it comfortable, and have used them since and not had a problem.

As I've only had a problem the once anyway, I'm not sure if it's the trunks, but could the water properties be helping in preventing soreness?

Tin Pot

Guru
Hairiness is manliness.

http://www.artofmanliness.com

Shaving below the neck? Tsk, tsk.

OP
OP
D

double0jedi

I use the standard saddles on both my bikes, a Kona Lava Dome and a Felt Z95, I have three pairs of bib shorts that I use ( giant, and Altura airstream and pro gel) all are washed after I have worn them. I do keep myself very clean, shower twice a day
It's not the the top of the legs so much as....well....ahem ( cough) the scrotum and the base of the old fella. After a long ride, it's quite painfully and my repeated requests to the missus to kiss it better have only been met with a roll of the eyes and pitiful giggle.

Tin Pot

Guru
I use the standard saddles on both my bikes, a Kona Lava Dome and a Felt Z95, I have three pairs of bib shorts that I use ( giant, and Altura airstream and pro gel) all are washed after I have worn them. I do keep myself very clean, shower twice a day
It's not the the top of the legs so much as....well....ahem ( cough) the scrotum and the base of the old fella. After a long ride, it's quite painfully and my repeated requests to the missus to kiss it better have only been met with a roll of the eyes and pitiful giggle.
How much riding do you do?

Could it be the bike set up - the saddle height and angle?

I only get pain after three or four hours riding, and that would the perineum - I can't imagine cycling in such a way that I was resting where you're getting pain.

ayceejay

Guru

In that case I would suggest saddle tilt as the culprit. Put a spirit level on your saddle as the reference point and tilt it ever so little until you find the right spot.

I'm am getting to the point where I am beginning to cycle a lot more than when I started, it is getting easier and a good few hours on the bike at the weekend is becoming the norm. I am really enjoying it but I seem to suffer, occasionally at first but now more and more often, with a bit of chaffing... down there ! . It is quite uncomfortable to say the least.
The other half has suggested that as I am one of those hairy buggers, the combination of sweat and hair maybe the problem. She suggested waxing! I can see a logic to this suggestion but at the same time I have to say it seems a bit extreme, I wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem and could offer a solution, or verify if hair removal is the answer.
Daktarin cream from local chemist may help you.

vickster

Legendary Member
xx(If he has a fungal infection and needing daktarin, not surprised his lady friend is steering well clear!!

OP
OP
D

double0jedi

No fungal infection here !!

Problem seems to be solved. Had a bit of a trim downstairs, not shaved just trimmed up a bit. Long ride yesterday and no problems.

Top Bottom