Another Cyclist dies at Bow Roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Protesting against what?

There's a lot of issues here,not just bad layouts and dodgy cycle lanes.
#space4cycling. This was the 3rd person to die on Bow roundabout since the instillation of the 'superhighway'.
It was raised with TFL that this was going to be an issue before it was put into place, but they choose to ignore and installed it anyway.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Damn,can't make it.Working.

Good point there about the traffic light configuration.I made a mistake the first time I used it heading towards Stratford.After proceeding past the cyclist traffic light (at green) I went through the red (about ten yards further on) in front of two policemen who shouted at me.I went back to ask what the problem was and they informed me of what I have done.I don't generally go blasting through red lights even though I was checking to my right for traffic anyway.Im savvy to these lights now but I had done a long (early) shift on the seventh day of work and believe this contributed to my mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: gaz

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
The "normal" pair of traffic lights at Gant's Hill should have given a clue as to how confusing the ones at Bow would be. I have seen loads of cars pull away from the crossing ones when they turn green and then miss/ignore the red ones for the roundabout.

simon.r

Person
My son has started commuting recently, from Stratford to near Liverpool Street. Is he likely to use this roundabout? He was knocked off his bike by a van on Monday evening (no serious injuries, just a few cuts and bruises), but when I spoke to him he wasn't sure of the exact location (i.e. road names etc).

If Bow roundabout is on his route is it worth avoiding (bearing in mind he is a relatively inexperienced cyclist)? Any locals know of a sensible alternative route?

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
My son has started commuting recently, from Stratford to near Liverpool Street. Is he likely to use this roundabout? He was knocked off his bike by a van on Monday evening (no serious injuries, just a few cuts and bruises), but when I spoke to him he wasn't sure of the exact location (i.e. road names etc).

If Bow roundabout is on his route is it worth avoiding (bearing in mind he is a relatively inexperienced cyclist)? Any locals know of a sensible alternative route?
Any alternative is a pretty huge diversion.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It is terribly sad at any time, even worse this close to Christmas, if that is possible.

I think dishing out blame is premature. Just because we are on a cycling forum it does not follow that we are always right.

Again the need to keep away from large vehicles is made obvious.

As tragic as this all is, it will raise awareness as to the cyclists plight.

Steve

ohnovino

Large Member
What is it about Bow roundabout that makes it so dangerous? It is just sheer weight of traffic, or is there something uniquely lethal about the design?

spen666

Legendary Member

He will almost certainly use this roundabout. I use it everyday going the same route.

I do not know of a safe alternative route. There is possibly one that goes along the canals but I would leave that to someone else to advise about.

I personally use the flyover instead of the roundabout at Bow

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What is it about Bow roundabout that makes it so dangerous? It is just sheer weight of traffic, or is there something uniquely lethal about the design?

A flyover, an underpass, and many lanes and junctions of fast and turning busy traffic.
Just check out one of the pics linked.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
He probably does.
There are very few east-west routes in that part of London, all of them are major routes, A11, A12, A13, there simply isnt any other viable alternatives.
The Bow round about is the junction of two dual carriage ways, (urban motorways), so the junction is used by lots of heavy traffic. There is no room for expansion of the juction due to the proximity of the river and buildings, see the photograph I posted above.

Mile195

Veteran
Damn,can't make it.Working.

Good point there about the traffic light configuration.I made a mistake the first time I used it heading towards Stratford.After proceeding past the cyclist traffic light (at green) I went through the red (about ten yards further on) in front of two policemen who shouted at me.I went back to ask what the problem was and they informed me of what I have done.I don't generally go blasting through red lights even though I was checking to my right for traffic anyway.Im savvy to these lights now but I had done a long (early) shift on the seventh day of work and believe this contributed to my mistake.
I've never used the roundabout myself (and think I would probably prefer to stay away from it), but this is a problem in London in general. Far too much street furniture.
I've accidentely run red lights a number of time in the past, particularly where you have, say, a left turn. The lights go green, then immediately after you've turned there's another set of lights that are red for a pedestrian crossing that you can't see properly without looking through the sunroof.

The number of junctions controlled by traffic lights has just exploded over the last decade when at many simple Give Way lines would sometimes do and we now find ourselves in this position that there are so many lights, signs, road markings and such that even the most attentive and careful driver can have trouble taking them all in.

I can't comment on Bow roundabout though. The more I read about it, the more it just sounds like they need to rip the whole thing up and start again.

Top Bottom