Another Tipper Lorry Death.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Poor woman, and thoughts for the family.

The evening standard story had it as quite horrific. I didnt walk down that way for lunch, so thankfully I missed it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Dunno, sorry, it's also not clear if they were targeted stops. Hope so, otherwise every twelfth HGV that overtakes London cyclists shouldn't be on the roads, which is terrifying.
Road.cc reports that they were ''intelligence led'' so it's not random roadside checks. There is a partial breakdown by vehicle category of the unit's first 6 months at the bottom of here - https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/c...-review-of-first-six-months-of-operations.pdf

And it's as I suspected. An industry that often doesn't give a damn about vehicle safety, or driver hours, is not going to give a damn about other people's safety either.

spen666

Legendary Member
I wasn't assuming that the drivers of the tipper lorries are always to blame at all.
....Which makes it even worse. You want to ban innocent people who do nothing wrong.

Why not ban black people? Or gays or catholics? None of them are guilty per se either.

Stupid people call for bans on other groups, and fail to realise all they are doing is making it easier for others to turn the ban on them. The Road lobby is far more powerful than the cycling lobby. Its far more likely that cyclists get banned than vehicles that are essential to the economy
But tipper lorries are inherently problematical and there are a massive number of prone cyclists on London's roads during the rush hour.

See, you are already making the case to ban cyclists without realising it

Mmm, the use of Rhiannon Bennett’s death as ’balance’ and the lauding of Malmö's death toll being almost one tenth of London's yet only having a population 1/35 the size.
As a window on other cities' attitudes to cycling it is an interesting article, I'm afraid I found it of little use in terms of examing safety.

Lonestar

Veteran
I was there standing at the lights at Bank Junction at approx 10:53am.I wondered why it looked different in the pic,it's because I was standing at the lights nearby.I had come up from Aldgate.My usual route via Fenchurch Street was shut.Also my backstreet (left hand turn on the same road) to take me to Cannon Street had been shut off also,so had to come this way.A sad sight.

R.I.P.

....Which makes it even worse. You want to ban innocent people who do nothing wrong.

Why not ban black people? Or gays or catholics? None of them are guilty per se either.

Stupid people call for bans on other groups, and fail to realise all they are doing is making it easier for others to turn the ban on them. The Road lobby is far more powerful than the cycling lobby. Its far more likely that cyclists get banned than vehicles that are essential to the economy

See, you are already making the case to ban cyclists without realising it
I'm sorry - you are off on one - seem determined to have an argument - let's just ride our bikes.

Mmm, the use of Rhiannon Bennett’s death as ’balance’ and the lauding of Malmö's death toll being almost one tenth of London's yet only having a population 1/35 the size.
As a window on other cities' attitudes to cycling it is an interesting article, I'm afraid I found it of little use in terms of examing safety.

Know what the headline for that article is on the beeb homepage?

Should cyclists rule?

subaqua

What’s the point
Almost 100 HGVs have been taken off roads in the Square Mile in the first month of a new unit to crack down on dangerous lorries.

The City of London police’s commercial vehicle unit, funded by Transport for London, stopped 136 vehicles in May and removed 95.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-crackdown-on-dangerous-lorries-10336095.html

Again it's not a true reflection as they will have been targeted. Pick 136 at random and remove 95 I would be very very worried.

sidevalve

Über Member
Well, most cyclists killed are by lorries in central London. They also feature high in the league of pedestrian deaths. They are also found to be disproportionally unroadworthy in recent random police stops. It is also deemed acceptable to run-over a cyclist in front of you claiming that it is not possible to see them in a lorry. It also appears to be the case you can be banned several times and still be employed to drive lorries.

I think it would be quite fair to say that the current situation is not safe and that greater restrictions be placed on lorries.

This should include removing pay-per-load, increasing points/fines for infringements, safer lorries (better visibility, sensors etc) and a more rigerous checking of history before keys are given out.
It is also possible to ride a bicycle with NO idea of the highway code [never ever having bothered to read - ever] to ride with poor vision bordering on almost blindness - to never ever have had even the most rudimentary instruction or even a few 'pointers' how to ride - to ride a bike with worn out tyres no lights and only one barely functioning brake. It's always easier to blame someone else but unless you want MOTs for bikes and compusory tests for riders be carefull of what you wish for

Lonestar

Veteran
Least the guys at work are experts in Road Tax/Jumping Red Lights/Headphones/No Helmet/No lights/No Hi Viz/Going up the inside of lorries and the fact that I am always having incidents when in fact I am not.

albion

Guru
We are surely all wishing for the ceasement of unnnessessary death due to bad vehicle design and practice.

Bringing other stuff into it is in the circumstances is to put it very mildly, plain WRONG

It is also possible to ride a bicycle with NO idea of the highway code [never ever having bothered to read - ever] to ride with poor vision bordering on almost blindness - to never ever have had even the most rudimentary instruction or even a few 'pointers' how to ride - to ride a bike with worn out tyres no lights and only one barely functioning brake. It's always easier to blame someone else but unless you want MOTs for bikes and compusory tests for riders be carefull of what you wish for

has a rider's poor vision or badly-maintained bike been cited in many fatalities?

Top Bottom