Another useless invention

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a few days ago I was talking to a fellow cyclist about chain lines, as hers was very bad indeed. She got really annoyed and blamed the bike shop who she said had replaced her gears back to front. Eh? Yes, she said, it used to be 1 for going up hills AND NOW IT'S 7. She could not be calmed down sufficiently to get to the bottom of what had actually happened.
I am either occupying a parallel universe or the same woman materialised here as well. In this case she was trying, without a great deal of success to get up a hill in the biggest gear she had, I explained in very simple language that the chain needed to be on one of the larger cogs at the back, but it's already in the biggest number, how can that be right she says. I knew I was going to lose this one.

Jody

Stubborn git
I have always thought the gear indicator on bicycles to be a useless cyclist invention, but it turns out some people use them, the invention in the link may grab some people but not me,

They can be of use when you have 30 gears and riding off road.

Last edited by a moderator:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Lovely sculpted design but it won't catch on.

...on second thoughts it might sell well in Lakeland, which is a shop full of solutions looking for a problem.

Venod

Eh up
They can be of use when you have 30 gears and riding off road

I am sure you have your reasons for wanting to know what gear your in, I just go by feel, if its too easy change, if its too hard change. I have never used gear indicators, I don't have them on any of my bikes and seem to manage OK.

Jody

Stubborn git
I should have known that reply was coming :rolleyes: You manage OK without. That's great. I have never had them on any of my bikes other than the one I have now. But I don't see your dislike for them, especially based on the 10 grams or so they add. If you dont like them (assuming you have a bike with them) take the screw out, remove it and use the blanking plate underneath.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Some of you are very cynical. I think the idea is good and certainly informs the motorist of your intention, especially when turning left or right. If the price is right, we are likely to see cyclists going for it.

jay clock

Massive member
Some of you are very cynical. I think the idea is good and certainly informs the motorist of your intention, especially when turning left or right. If the price is right, we are likely to see cyclists going for it.
It is not at all clear. It could mean "I am turning right" or "please pass me on the right"

Top Bottom