Anti social riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Secret hand signals....eh..wot....:tongue:

We are not bad at all..... most of us wave, say hello - just good to have a bit of banter.

A few month's back I caught a group of young (OK 20's) MTB'ers that had passed two older roadies on Long Hill (Buxton) - said hello to both sets of riders.... guess who didn't reply.....yup the duffers on road bikes... despite me being on a road bike too......

I'll wave to anyone, I also ride both sorts of bikes, but nearly 95% road bikes, and am quite more than capable of battering Mr Average Roadie on the MTB.....:tongue:...... did feel sorry for him as I blasted past covered in mud up a steep hill...."sorry I'm cheating today".......

Renard

Ben M said:
All of these threads go in the same direction:

OP: I waved at a roadie and he ignored me
replies:
yeah, some people are snobs
I'm a roadie who waves at everyone
roadies are gay!
hey, he was busy doing what he enjoys doing, riding a bike, maybe he was too in the zone to notice you

Who gives a damn that a complete stranger didn't wave at you?
:tongue:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Nobody ever says anything or waves or even makes eye contact with me. I noticed this early on after beggining cycle commuting and simply do my own thing, not bothering about others. It must just be me...

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Sittingduck said:
Nobody ever says anything or waves or even makes eye contact with me. I noticed this early on after beggining cycle commuting and simply do my own thing, not bothering about others. It must just be me...

Makes mental note to ALWAYS wave at SD:biggrin:

I passed..ok, I was passed by.....5 cyclists at various times on my ride today and they all smiled and said a cheery "ello!!":laugh:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Sittingduck said:

don't feel bad, even those of us that know you now wish we could turn back the clock and ignore you:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
User76 said:
Why would I wave at you? We both ride bikes, but I don't have to be your friend.

You walk down the street, passing other people walking down the street, all the time. You don't wave to all of them do you:rolleyes:

That's more or less how I feel. I tend to nod at folk I see out in the country, and generally they nod back, but I think I'm more likely to be ignored by someone who happens to be 'commuting' or shopping or what have you, in villages - after all, they are just doing what I'm doing in York, and probably don't see themselves as being a 'cyclist' at that point.

If I nodded to every cyclist I saw in York, my head would drop off.

User76 said:
Why would I wave at you? We both ride bikes, but I don't have to be your friend.
sts.
+1.

I tend to look at it like this, when I'm commuting to work, I don't bother acknowledging other cyclists. We're all just commuters on our way to work using a particular method of transport, we don't need to interact anymore than I would with strangers on a bus.

But when I'm out riding on the weekend and come across fellow cyclists, I make the effort most of the time to wave as we now share a common 'hobby', much like motorbikers nod to each other. I passed about 20 other cyclists on my long ride yesterday and only half waved back. The ones that didn't were mostly 'roadies depsite me being on my road bike and in lycra.

Never mind, hey?

Top Bottom