Any ex (or current) Milkman or Milk ladies on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not been on for a while (busy drowning while riding my bike in the wet) and then I ask a stupid question?

Hopefully with mods approval... I was wondering if anyone has any anecdotes (either funny or poignant) about the above profession, what were milk floats like to drive did you barely get back to depot on a charge etc.

I'm writing an article about milk floats for a magazine and have access to one at a friendly museum. So would like to share them in the article if possible.... so if you could either put them in this thread with confirmation that I can use them or PM me. I can use just first name, initials nicknames etc in the article.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I can use just first name, initials nicknames etc in the article.

To avoid paternity cases :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I worked for the RACS in Oxford for about 6 months around 1968/9 ish. No great memories that would be of any use really..
The only thing that springs to mind was the chap I 'trained' to take over my round when I left had just passed his Degree in Physics @ Oxford University. 🎓

OP
OP
simon the viking
My round got so spread out i needed a diesel float as i could run out of juice on the way back a couple of times a week , i was doing about 40 miles a day in the end .
Got any stories about electric floats or any milkman stories in general .. didn't know you used to be a milkman

gbb

Legendary Member
Not so much a funny anecdote but my late brother was a milkman in maybe the 1990s. On his round one morning he was attacked, bludgeoned and hospitalised...with no idea who or why, not sure he ever even saw the person responsible.
He received considerable compensation after....

OP
OP
simon the viking
Not so much a funny anecdote but my late brother was a milkman in maybe the 1990s. On his round one morning he was attacked, bludgeoned and hospitalised...with no idea who or why, not sure he ever even saw the person responsible.
He received considerable compensation after....

What a sad story. Mindless violence.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
What a sad story. Mindless violence.

Bless him, he passed maybe 15 years ago but actually I do remember...his takings disappeared so it was a robbery.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I wasn't a milkman, but I did help out on my local milk round with John the milk at weekends and school holidays. 1968 to 1974. He worked for United Dairies before it becameUnigate, I used to meet him at around 5 am and get 2/6 a day. It was quite a big round and used to take around 6 hours, double rounds on christmas and the days before bank holidays. On fridays, collection day there were many houses that i wasn't a allowed to call at, i was young remember.
One of our stops was in the STC factory in New Southgate, always got a mug of tea and a sausage sandwich from the canteen we were delivering to.
The milk float was an electric 3 wheeler
GettyImages-1181838022-scaled.jpg

Like this. There was a version with a big headlight in the centre which if I recall correctly was called a Rangemaster and as the name suggest went a bit further on a charge.
I did slip on a wall one Saturday day when carrying 6 pint bottles and as I jettisoned the bottles and stuck my arm out to brake my fall, I dislocated my elbow joint, another trip to Finchley Memorial hospital as I held the lower part of my arm to stop it swinging around..six years I worked with him until I started work.
Happy days.

OP
OP
simon the viking
I wasn't a milkman, but I did help out on my local milk round with John the milk at weekends and school holidays. 1968 to 1974. He worked for United Dairies before it becameUnigate, I used to meet him at around 5 am and get 2/6 a day. It was quite a big round and used to take around 6 hours, double rounds on christmas and the days before bank holidays. On fridays, collection day there were many houses that i wasn't a allowed to call at, i was young remember.
One of our stops was in the STC factory in New Southgate, always got a mug of tea and a sausage sandwich from the canteen we were delivering to.
View attachment 729381

Like this. There was a version with a big headlight in the centre which if I recall correctly was called a Rangemaster and as the name suggest went a bit further on a charge.
I did slip on a wall one Saturday day when carrying 6 pint bottles and as I jettisoned the bottles and stuck my arm out to brake my fall, I dislocated my elbow joint, another trip to Finchley Memorial hospital as I held the lower part of my arm to stop it swinging around..six years I worked with him until I started work.
Happy days.

I like this can I use it?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
View attachment 729381

Happy days.

PS, John did come around to my house whilst I was at the hospital and gave my mum my 2/6, by then it was 25p for the days work, even though I only did about half of it.

Top Bottom