Anybody got a Boxer dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

Thinking of getting a dog and I've always liked Boxers.

Do they make good pets??

Looking for something that likes plenty of exercise.

If you do can you make sure you get one with a tail! I think it is illegal to chop them off now.

longers

Legendary Member
I've not owned one but have known a few.

Good pets, usually daft, need lots of exercise. I don't know if they suffer from breathing trouble like bulldogs and other flat faces.

Chrisz

Über Member
I had a boxer/alsatian cross years ago - beautiful dog but a lot like a horse= speed of a race horse, strength of a cart horse and brains of a rocking horse!! :smile:

Loved him to bits - he would happily run all day - often whils attempting to cary along logs or boulders as big as himself :smile:

He was always very good with kids/babies but always thought the doorbell was for him :smile:

U

User482

A friend has two - they're good natured, but are prone to heart disease, their first one died of a heart attack, which is quite common.

Chrisz

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
I was going to say,I don't think they're the brightest dogs on earth.

Mine used to nearly drown himself looking for stones thrown into the sea - desperately sticking his head under the water to sniff them out!:smile:

ELL

Über Member
I had one as a teenager and loved her to bits. As said above daft as a bat but so friendly.

Also I know people say it is cruel to dock the tail but it can be best for the dog if you get it done as their tails are so strong they can do a lot of damage to them if they are left.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fab dogs when trained, but very boisterous and need lots of exercise, but they do really behave well when trained.

The folks at the caravan next to my MIL's have two boxers, lovely dogs, and they get so excited when they see our kids, but they do as their owners say..... you can see it..."oh kids can I play"....

Sloppy dribbly things though......you'll get dog spit everywhere

gbb

Legendary Member
Never had one, but known two people that have.
The first said his was as mad as a box of frogs, but a good loyal pet, although prone to chewing.
The second person was warned by the first (we were all colleagues)...don't get one unless you're commited to spending a lot of time and effort on it.
He got one....mad as a box of frogs :biggrin:. Used to carry massive lumps of wood and stones everywhere, get in the cupboards and eat the contents, it even ate a frozen chicken one Saturday night.

Mental....but phenomenal characters.

Top Bottom