Anybody on here own a pub or know someone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you talking about Netherton in the black country? I used to go cycling up and down the very long canal tunnel there!
Our local pub tennant has vacated and there's nobody to take it on. It was a great little pub that did really good food too - The Swan in Ullesthorpe.

Proto

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
Are you talking about Netherton in the black country? I used to go cycling up and down the very long canal tunnel there!

Yep, that be the one. Believe her name was Doris Pardoe, but I might have made that up. Something about the name 'Doris' that makes me smile :evil:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
Our local pub tennant has vacated and there's nobody to take it on. It was a great little pub that did really good food too - The Swan in Ullesthorpe.

Taking on a pub tenancy is quite a risky venture - more so, given the current financial climate.

The balance between the right agreement for the landlord and an attractive agreement for the tenant is a difficult one to get right, particularly given that most benefits to the landlord are likely to be negative factors to a tenant.

Many tenants had fallen foul of unfair agreements; people are so eager to get started they don’t seek advice. Pub companies have systematically increased the number of costs involved in the property on to the tenants, whilst raising rents at an ever increasing rate. They are "negotiated" by whatever method or formula that has been to their advantage quoting "industry standards" that they themselves have set. The primary aim is to maximum profit for their shareholders; they are not interested in the welfare of the tenant, there will always be another mug to be found.

In virtually all cases, tenants have to buy a large percentage of supplies from the landlords - far more expensive than the freehouse owner will be paying in the pub down the road. Imagine if you owned a shoe shop and you had to buy all shoes from your property landlord, but only the styles they say and at whatever price they charge. Of course, the landlord will want full access to your books to check that you aren't making 'illegal' purchases.

If your entrepreneurial ability is such that your tenancy is successful, the landlord will automatically inflate the rent that you have to pay.

To anyone interested in pub life, I believe that the best way to be successful is to go all out to try and buy your own freehouse. Prices have plummeted; quite a few freehouses are little more than it would cost to buy a 3-bedroomed semi. But it can be done; as with any other business, cashflow and expenditure have to be carefully monitored. The secret is to devise a long-term plan and to 'spread' costs; don't try to introduce too many changes at once.

Of course, all this assumes that you are the 'right sort of person to run a pub. Many people assumed that I had a bottle of wine with every meal and numerous pint in the evening. I still drink no more than 1 pint a week.

Top Bottom