Anyone doing the Secondary school open day rounds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cripes it's hard work. Headmasters/mistresses speeches, ploughing through info packs, finding your way around schools with a map drawn by a first year, reading the seven trees worth of Education procedures, not to mention preparing Crackle 1 for the old 11+, I'm fair worn out.

Today I went to a school that was so like my old school that if someone had shouted 'Crackle!', I'd have snapped to attention and froze on the spot :boxing:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Yep just about to start the process

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
end of the month for ours. our chosen school has the posh part of town as part of its catchment area, so no doubt we'll initially miss out only to get an offer when all the posh kids get into the local independent school, who don't announce their intake until two weeks after the la send out the offers :boxing:

Noodley

Sorry for being ignorant but when do your Englandshire schools go back? My kids have been back for weeks...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
mine started last wednesday, although i think it's staggered among the schools, but judging by the fact that i've been smugger than recent in the morning traffic, i guess they're all back now.

Noodley

Thanks. What's with the visits and stuff then? And the offers? I have no idea how Englandshire works their education system..

Maz

Guru
Crackle said:
Cripes it's hard work. Headmasters/mistresses speeches, ploughing through info packs, finding your way around schools with a map drawn by a first year, reading the seven trees worth of Education procedures
You're a teacher. What do you expect? :boxing:

Yes, did the open day rounds last year.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
basically you get to nominate 3 schools in order of preference. the lea then sees if, according the published criteria (catchment area, sibling at the same school etc), they will receive an offer of a place at each school. the lea then sends back an offer for the school rated highest in order of initial preference.

Noodley

alecstilleyedye said:
basically you get to nominate 3 schools in order of preference. the lea then sees if, according the published criteria (catchment area, sibling at the same school etc), they will receive an offer of a place at each school. the lea then sends back an offer for the school rated highest in order of initial preference.

Christ. Where I stay, if you live in a certain area, your kids go to the school that covers that area (okay, there are exceptions but that's the general rule). Unless you pay for their education (Mrs Noodley was looking at this...:boxing: ) <edit - I have no idea why>

OP
OP
C

Crackle

alecstilleyedye said:

Yes but if you stick one down 2nd and it's a good school, they just laugh in your face. For instance our local grammar is so popular if you don't put it down first, forget it.

The other big difference Noodley is you have no entrance exams in Scootland, whereas in England you do. Most Grammar schools use the 11+ exam but some, especially faith schools, have their own entrance exam. Plus you have to be of the persuasion and put them first - soddin nightmare.

Then if you do get your first choice, it's allocated in priority order. So kids in care or with special phyical needs which the school may provide. Children with brothers already there and then by distance and finally you can appeal. It's a complete buggeration.

Maz: I think you've muxed me up. I'm not a teacher. I'd be interested to know why you thought I was though :boxing:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Crackle said:
Yes but if you stick one down 2nd and it's a good school, they just laugh in your face. For instance our local grammar is so popular if you don't put it down first, forget it.

in cheshire, at least, the lea handles the admissions, so the schools are unaware of whether an application is 1st/2nd/3rd choice. in theory you could be eligible for all three, in which you will only get offered your first choice.

Noodley

Sounds like Scotland have a much easier system.

Not like England to complicate things and make an issue of something which should be easy...:boxing::becool:

I don't even know what the difference is between different types of schools (see I don't even know what they are called! Grammar and something else?..and maybe another thing as well?)

OP
OP
C

Crackle

alecstilleyedye said:
in cheshire, at least, the lea handles the admissions, so the schools are unaware of whether an application is 1st/2nd/3rd choice. in theory you could be eligible for all three, in which you will only get offered your first choice.

No I think you're right it's the same here, it's more of a metaphorical laugh. I just meant you wouldn't even get considered because so many others had put it first.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Noodley said:
I don't even know what the difference is between different types of schools (see I don't even know what they are called! Grammar and something else?..and maybe another thing as well?)

Grammars' cream the top 20/25% of pupils who've elected to take the 11+ test and have passed. Because of this they therefore have more exacting standards of education, are able to provide better opportunities due to attracting more cash, better staff, have all the links with the red brick uni's and various other get-ups.

Then the open access all ability schools (comps as I know 'em) take in a similiar fashion to Scotland.

It's not a fair system. If you have money, you can have little johnny tutored to within an inch of his life so he makes it to the local grammar.

Top Bottom