Anyone doing the Secondary school open day rounds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Scotland's system is:

do not pay for your kids to go to school.

want to pay loads of cash - pay for your kids to go to school.

Noodley

As an aside, what's with all this testing nonsense? :boxing:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Noodley said:
As an aside, what's with all this testing nonsense? :boxing:

Oh yes! Test, test, test and it's all meaningless.

I much prefer the Scottish system of individual assessment and working through levels. It works and makes sense and no league table nonsense (is there?). There's also a proper emphasis on how to be a 'responsible citizen' and proper time devoted to allowing kids to practice what they've learned. The English system is far drier.

Noodley

Crackle said:
Oh yes! Test, test, test and it's all meaningless.

I much prefer the Scottish system of individual assessment and working through levels. It works and makes sense and no league table nonsense (is there?). There's also a proper emphasis on how to be a 'responsible citizen' and proper time devoted to allowing kids to practice what they've learned. The English system is far drier.

As far as I am aware there is no testing. There was a "test" a few years ago which was a random "what kind of level are kids achieving" but which only involved a few kids from elder Noodlette's class...

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Noodley said:
As far as I am aware there is no testing. There was a "test" a few years ago which was a random "what kind of level are kids achieving" but which only involved a few kids from elder Noodlette's class...

No son no.1 and 2 did level tests in Scotland. So when they moved from level b to C for instance, they had to complete a level B test/assessment before beginning level C. I think maths was tested, English assessed. Not sure if it worked the same in the Gaelic streams, probably the same though.

Noodley

Crackle said:
No son no.1 and 2 did level tests in Scotland. So when they moved from level b to C for instance, they had to complete a level B test/assessment before beginning level C. I think maths was tested, English assessed. Not sure if it worked the same in the Gaelic streams, probably the same though.

There's tests but I don't think there is the same level of "significance" attached..like league tables, etc..

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
alecstilleyedye said:
basically you get to nominate 3 schools in order of preference. the lea then sees if, according the published criteria (catchment area, sibling at the same school etc), they will receive an offer of a place at each school. the lea then sends back an offer for the school rated highest in order of initial preference.

I did the secondary schools thing last year (for the 2nd time), and it was a nightmare for me. We didn't go for our nearest school (as its one of those that get less than 30% getting A-C, and a poor reputation for maths which No 1 is excellant at). The difference between application no1 and no2 was that they changed the rules in England from "First Preference First" to "Equal Preference", which meant that anyone who lived near the school who put it second or third got in before us.

We ended up going through the appeal process (where they told us we would have got in under the old system automatically), and luckily were sucessful.

Good luck and I hope you have a less stressful time than we did.

surfgurl

Best of luck with it all. My two moved to live with us during their secondary education so we just applied to the local school and they got in.
I would suggest that if you are not certain about a school try and visit during the school day. Open evenings are all singing all dancing, you may get a different view of the school when all the kids are about.
Another thing to do is cycle past during the lunch hour or at home time and get a feel for the place then.
We're looking at Universities this year. I feel old.

ChrisKH

Guru
I've got this to come in a year or so. In terms of getting son no. one into a secondary school we've got a number of choices.

11+ and grammar - forget it, he's unlikely to make the grade, and if he did, he would be at the very limits of the grammar school's boundaries and they select on closest pupil's first (which is why I didn't get in despite 11+).

All boy church school - seems to be favourite at the moment and he would qualify for this as he is in a church school. Drawback - would have to travel 10 + miles & take a bus every day which (similar to the grammar, even if he did get in) limits your social development as you can rarely mix with pupils out of school hours as you always have to get the bus and travel home (1 hour min.) Good academic standards and girls avoided until the age of 18 (would have been a plus for me, but I wouldn't have met wifey).

Local 5 star rated comprehensive/sixth form - would have to move to go to this or take an entrance exam. Possibility but the school has a bad reputation for bullying and sixth form drugs.

Nearest comprehensive. Being rebuilt before his time to attend (2011) and results have been improving recently. Outside chance but possible choice. Lots of close friends will be attending this one.

Fee paying. Still would have to travel (1hr plus a day) but good choice of schools available, subject to minimum academic standards. Disadvantage; well I would have to pay. Distinct possibility.

What should we do? I just don't know right now.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Tricky one ChrisKH. Right now, where their friends are going is playing a major part in their choice but then the schools are a lot closer and having to travel does limit them. I remember a friend in my old school had to exclude himself from tons of stuff because he had to catch the coach home. Private would be last resort for me, too expensive.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
ChrisKH said:
I've got this to come in a year or so.

What should we do? I just don't know right now.

If he's the year before you make your choices ... go and look around now... that way you may be able to exclude some of the choices or at least have another year to go and look again. Don't take him the first time but do take him the second round. The first time you look around a secondary school they seem so big in comparison to what you are used to.

Friends can be important ... but are you in an area where they all go different ways anyway? Her 3 best friends all went to different schools. My daughter was the only one from her primary, to get into the school we choose, as we were the only parents to stick it out to the appeal stage. She's already been around to visit one new friend at their house.

Top Bottom