Anyone fancy 50 hilly miles, Hebden Bridge, Sun 15th March?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi chaps/chapesses.

I know it's very short notice, but I'm doing a ride in the morning with goodspeed and we wondered if anybody fancied joining us?

Route: Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Cragg Vale, Blackstone Edge, Littleborough, Hollingworth Lake, Milnrow, Newhey, Denshaw, Buckstones, Ringstone Edge Reservoir, Boothwood Reservoir, Pike End, Baitings Reservoir, Hubberton Green, Scout Road, Mytholmroyd, Midgley Road, Midgley, Jerusalem Lane, Booth, Jowler, Wainstalls, Cold Edge, Oxenhope Moor, Oxenhope, Hebden Bridge.

That's around 50 very hilly miles so it isn't really for those who aren't into climbing. There's a few miles of busy roads, but a lot of good quiet ones too.

If you want to do the ride, be at Hebden Bridge railway station at about 09:55, ready for a 10:00 start.

I'm not quick at the moment so the ride will probably take 4.0 - 4.5 hours with maybe 30 minutes of stops on top of that

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Thanks for the invite. I got invited on a similar ride late on Friday night though. Another time maybe :tongue:.

Bokonon

Über Member
Hmm, possibly. Looks like the weather should be OK tomorrow - not as windy as today. Can I text you if I decide to come? You can guarantee that if I get the train for 9:52 it will end up being delayed...

colly

Re member eR
Don't think I can make it Colin. I have a feeling my mrs wants me to ride shotgun on a shopping trip.:tongue:

Have a good ride.

Could you make it over here next weekend? Sunday maybe?

I could organise something out of Leeds. A similar distance perhaps. I'll post something and see what the response is.

longers

Legendary Member
I like the sound of that route a lot Colin, I'd be very interested if you ever fancy repeating it.

I'm busy tomorrow but make sure you stretch afterwards eh?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Spandex - there are some pretty steep hills on this route as well as some long gentler ones. I'd be pretty impressed to see you get up them on a singlespeed! I have a 39/15 singlespeed bike in the midlands and I really struggle on anything steeper than about 8-10% unless it is short enough to sprint up. Mind you, I'm still about 35 pounds over a good climbing weight.

Longers - I'll probably have to stretch during the ride if the stiffness in my back today is anything to go by! :biggrin:

Marinyork - see if you can make the repeat ride (see below).

Bokonon - if you text me to say you are coming we will wait for the train due in at 09:52 if it is late, otherwise we won't. Yes - the forecast is looking pretty good for tomorrow. I went for a stroll this afternoon and it felt very spring-like, though windy.

I tell you what, how about the same ride on Sunday April 5th? Colly has something in mind for next weekend, and the repeat York ride is on the following weekend. I'll start a separate thread about the April ride once we've completed tomorrow's. Anyone who fancies it (Andy H? :angry:), this is 3 weeks notice.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oops - I'd better start getting ready! Bokonon should be getting in 30 minutes early and I have a feeling that Martin (goodspeed) is also going to be there in plenty of time. It would be embarrassing to be late when I only to have to ride about 1 km to meet them...

Bokonon

Über Member
Another excellent ride - thanks ColinJ & goodspeed. It's always nice to get out in some different country side and even better when big hills are involved :wacko:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Crikey - I'm feeling pretty wasted now! Even though I've ridden all those roads before, I've never put that sequence together in one ride.

My estimate of ride duration was hopelessly optimistic. It took about 6 hours and 20 minutes including stops. Bokonon and goodspeed could have got round at least an hour quicker if they hadn't had to hang about for me at the summits.

It is a good route but it's a tough one. Definitely not one for the faint-hearted, hill-haters or me! Only kidding - what doesn't kill me makes me stronger, and all that...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

spandex said:
8 - 10% is not that much!
It's not that steep if you have plenty of gears to choose from! Or if you only have one gear and it is a low one. Or if you have a single higher gear and you are not overweight and are pretty fit. A 10% climb is quite hard in 39/15 if you are overweight AND have a dodgy foot which cramps up if you press down on it too hard AND have back problems AND are not fully fit...

The biggest problem that I have is getting the cranks through the dead points in the pedal stroke. Because I'm not fit enough to go fast enough up a 10% hill to have a decent cadence in 39/15, I find that it really hard to get the cranks 'over the top' and get my weight down on the pedals.

Today's ride had some hills with sections of 15%-20+%.

Calum

Thanks for the invite, but I was in Bristol anyway. Would be up for another ride next week though if anyone fancies it.

Calum

If Colly or Bokonon are around, Colin could even jump on a train to Leeds and we could go from here for a change!

Top Bottom