Architecture as a career...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good or not? Insights into this? What are the prospects like these days? It's something mini-ao has considered. For A-level she's probably doing art and maths, plus another science, and language. Just found out she did rather well at GCSE. My grandfather was an architect, but I can't exactly say it runs in the family. :-)

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
My lad's just expressed an interest in becoming one as well.

I was going to ask @MikeG about it later if he pops in to the tea thread.

MikeG

Guru
It isn't quite the profession it was, as the red tape gradually strangles your freedom to move, certainly in the non-commercial non-public sector in which I earn a crust. The amount of time you actually spend designing is rather small. I characterise it as a few hours of excitement every few weeks, a great deal of repetitious and boring stuff, frustration with local authority officers, and quiet satisfaction with some rather nice buildings when you've finished. To be able to drive/ cycle around and say.........."I did that one........and that's one of mine too", even if only to yourself, is some compensation for the tedium.

My first piece of advice would be to choose your school of architecture extremely carefully, and be very wary of the London ones, where you really can go the whole 5 years without ever designing so much as a garden shed. My second piece of advice is to go along to a local practice and see if they'll do a job shadowing thing for a week or two.

Finally, art, maths and science are a great start for a career in architecture, but far more important is an interest in buildings and the built environment. Very few people who go through an architecture degree course actually end up working in architecture: it is a hard-nosed profession not suited to woolly art students. The practicalities of eaves details or heat loss calculations or the like soon bore people who think architecture is just glorified art. It is a very practical subject, and if she doesn't have an interest in the product, buildings, then she might be advised to think again.

I hope that doesn't sound too negative: I love it. But then I always loved buildings, and spent some years actually building them. If your daughter has any interest in buildings then get her to look at the profession seriously, and best of luck to her (whatever she chooses).

U

User169

My local university has a large well-respected architecture school. So far as I can tell they are pumping out loads of kids with architecture degrees who don't have a hope of ever working as architects: there's simply not enough work for them.

Recently, it seems that architecture enrolment numbers are down and civil and mechanical engineering are becoming more popular.

My sister in law used to work for one of the worlds most renowned architects (as an engineer). The global recession rather did for his type of work and he closed down his entire Valencia office (should give you a clue as to who he is!), so that was her out of a job. That of course is a rarified type of architecture so may not be entirely representative.

I've noticed that half of the parents at my kids school claim to be architects, but if that's what they really do, it evidently doesn't pay especially well!

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
It isn't quite the profession it was, as the red tape gradually strangles your freedom to move, certainly in the non-commercial non-public sector in which I earn a crust. The amount of time you actually spend designing is rather small. I characterise it as a few hours of excitement every few weeks, a great deal of repetitious and boring stuff, frustration with local authority officers, and quiet satisfaction with some rather nice buildings when you've finished. To be able to drive/ cycle around and say.........."I did that one........and that's one of mine too", even if only to yourself, is some compensation for the tedium.

My first piece of advice would be to choose your school of architecture extremely carefully, and be very wary of the London ones, where you really can go the whole 5 years without ever designing so much as a garden shed. My second piece of advice is to go along to a local practice and see if they'll do a job shadowing thing for a week or two.

Finally, art, maths and science are a great start for a career in architecture, but far more important is an interest in buildings and the built environment. Very few people who go through an architecture degree course actually end up working in architecture: it is a hard-nosed profession not suited to woolly art students. The practicalities of eaves details or heat loss calculations or the like soon bore people who think architecture is just glorified art. It is a very practical subject, and if she doesn't have an interest in the product, buildings, then she might be advised to think again.

I hope that doesn't sound too negative: I love it. But then I always loved buildings, and spent some years actually building them. If your daughter has any interest in buildings then get her to look at the profession seriously, and best of luck to her (whatever she chooses).

Thanks Mike that's helpful. Cheers also DP.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It would be easier to talk to you about it rather than explain on here. However, as Mike said, they have to have a curiosity about the world, how everything works and have a good spatial awareness to be able to see how things fit together. In many ways it's a a lifestyle choice that doesn't pay well in proportion to the stress and responsibility carried.

There were 54 people in our first year at Dundee University, there were only 9 of us that qualified after 5 years of study and 2 years of 'on the job' training after the RIBA Part 3 exams.... it wheedles out those who can't do it. Hving said that many left after the first 3 year degree to do other things, so it is a good degree to have as a spring board for life.

I have spent most of my working life designing and getting affordable housing built- it isn't high end architecture because the people we work with have to make every penny count, but that is a rewarding challenge in itself. Rich clients get extravagant buildings but I don't like working for them, it can get extravagant and wasteful- Grand Designs exhibits some of the excesses of the worst client types. Sometimes though you do have to cope with whoever or whatever comes your way.

There's nothing better than designing a building and understand how every part fits together, working with a trusted builder who cares and then handing a building over to a happy client. More fees would be nice but there's a lot of competition to get work in construction and not just from other architects.

The work can be demanding on their time and family and they'll need a practical side to be able to put different materials and componenets together to keep the rain out, prevent heat loss in winter and overheating in summer so that buildings function and everything works; ie detailing wall, roof and window junctions, designing heating systems, plumbing, drainage, specification of materials... any mistakes they make or things they miss or forget to do which cause any building to fail due to their design is their responsibility for up to 15 years in law.... far in excess of other jobs which have limited guarantees or liabilities.

As a result of all these liabilities we have to have professional indemnity insurance to protect us from certain malicious business people who have no qualms about trying to get something for nothing, and the blame culture that pervades the business world means the architect is an easy target. Having said that I've only had one bad client and one bad builder- both on the same job- so I've only had one PI claim in 34 years of practice. They'll have to be capable of keeping meticulous records and thinking around issues to ensure every aspect of what they're doing day to day is recorded and double checked as issues can be raised years after they've done something.

You have to like people and be a good communicator, be patient, love thinking in 3 dimensions and be constantly drawing things and ideas out in 3D on paper. Computer skills and building modelling on computers can be learned and are an essential element now so if your children don't like keying in stats and specifications into computers they won't like the job day in day out. However designing and imagining requires an innate love of drawing which they have to have and can't really be learned.

Other similar jobs would be Product Design or Engineering which tend to be faster turn-around projects with less 'juggling'! Would I do it again given another life, yup, but then I've not had to take on 5 years student loans @ £3300/pa to support myself and pay 5 years fees @ £9000/pa. You will need to help them to support themselves through it all.

Going to an EU School of Architecture rather than a British one would mean much lower fees or they may qualify for bursaries or funding grants or they could look at sponsorship deals.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I studied architecture at university in the Seventies. A three year degree course, a year working at an architects' practice, and then two more years back at university for a diploma course. I bailed out after six years because I realised I really didn't have a natural ability for it. ( I hated the year in the architects' office). I loved the technical problems of construction, embraced the engineering, enjoyed the lectures about architecture and classic garden design, most importantly, I learned about the process of "design". Try as I might however, on paper my buildings looked like crap, and I knew that I would be building back extensions for the rest of my life. I had the technical expertise but I didn't have the gift. Strangely enough, all the stars amongst my contemporaries were children of architects. Not nepotism, just being nurtured from a young age to appreciate all that spatial stuff.

I went to a forty year re-union last Christmas. About 80% of my year were still architects. I'm in electronic circuit design and production now .
If current architecture courses are anything like they were back then, grab it with both hands. It won't do you any harm at all, no matter what you end up doing.

Top Bottom