Architecture as a career...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Good or not? Insights into this? What are the prospects like these days? It's something mini-ao has considered. For A-level she's probably doing art and maths, plus another science, and language. Just found out she did rather well at GCSE. My grandfather was an architect, but I can't exactly say it runs in the family. :-)
1. If she wants work experience I can probably sort it out, if only to persuade her not to do it. People of my era (that sounds geological, and it is) did reasonably well. Young people entering now face long hours, lousy wages, and sexist bosses. Computing has killed the delight in design. The clients are, by and large, scum. The 'profession' is flooded by kids who are sufficiently well off not to need to work. Frankly, Mr. Worthington, she'd be better off on the stage.

2. And wot Archie said. Which means that she has to think about it.

3. I designed the best building in Southend. One of these days I'll take my grandson to see it. He'll remember that long after I'm gone.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
1. If she wants work experience I can probably sort it out, if only to persuade her not to do it. People of my era (that sounds geological, and it is) did reasonably well. Young people entering now face long hours, lousy wages, and sexist bosses. Computing has killed the delight in design. The clients are, by and large, scum. The 'profession' is flooded by kids who are sufficiently well off not to need to work. Frankly, Mr. Worthington, she'd be better off on the stage.....

A reply so eloquent, you make your profession sound so appealing.

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
1. If she wants work experience I can probably sort it out, if only to persuade her not to do it. People of my era (that sounds geological, and it is) did reasonably well. Young people entering now face long hours, lousy wages, and sexist bosses. Computing has killed the delight in design. The clients are, by and large, scum. The 'profession' is flooded by kids who are sufficiently well off not to need to work. Frankly, Mr. Worthington, she'd be better off on the stage.

2. And wot Archie said. Which means that she has to think about it.

3. I designed the best building in Southend. One of these days I'll take my grandson to see it. He'll remember that long after I'm gone.

Thanks d. She is keen on a strong design element; and for various reasons it seems perhaps architecture won't be for her... Good to consider various options though. The next decision she has to make is whether to do 'further Maths' at A-level.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My eldest is just about to start year 2 and looking forward to it, she didn't do further maths and so far hasn't found that a problem, though I think it becomes more technical this year (first year was apparently allowing them to design things without considering if they worked I gather). She did various bouts of experience in different architectural practices during sixth form.

Equally I've just found out that a friend's daughter has dropped out after 3 years of study (including repeating a year), and deciding that it wasn't for her. My daughter has discovered it does get in the way of a social life occasionally, Fridays seem to be the critical day each week, and her exams seemed to be timed differently to her flat mates so she had to work when they weren't and the opposite so she finished her first year exams miles before the rest. Lots on the course seem to be from abroad, and quite a few of the UK ones appear to have well off parents, there is also a wide age range of the students on the course.

Top Bottom