Are laptops worth it...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Flying_Monkey said:
Unless you are wanting to use the computer to play games, I can't see a lot of point in having a desktop these days. My wife and I have two Mac laptops - and they are brilliant, have never gone wrong and can handle everything we need them for (every kind of office task, browsing anywhere - because Mac laptops have excellent built-in wireless capabilities - and multi-media). We don't even bother with a DVD player at home, we just hook our data projector up to one and show films on the wall.

I'll bet you are the kind of couple who sit at opposite ends of the sofa emailing each other. :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
Yenners, you can pick up really cheap laptops nowadays, something like the EE PC ones seem quite good as they are only about a hundred quid so you have no excuse for not leaving a couple lying around the house. Who wants to be upstairs locked away in an office in the evenings? You want to be down on the sofa watching he telly while you surf mate!!

surfgurl

I love my laptop. You can't beat sitting in bed surfing the net or watching tv online. I also take it down to the kitchen to play music while cleaning up.

Melvil

Bought a macbook (I'm not namedropping for the sake of it - the macbook is a tiny wee thing that's also rather sturdy so I can take it with me on hols etc) and not sure I could get a desktop now, even though they are more powerful for a given price etc.

Watching films on trains / surfing the web pretty much anywhere (once I was at girlfriend's granny's and needed to send an urgent email - granny had no computer so I took the macbook out to the town centre and quickly located a wifi network - email sent), tinkering with photos on the move. It's ace.

Now, if apple would bring out a decent game for the macbook.........here's wishing.

Night Train

Maker of Things
domtyler said:
I'll bet you are the kind of couple who sit at opposite ends of the sofa emailing each other. :biggrin:
I know of two couples, with their own laptops, who are on another forum and they send messages to each other on the public forum about day to day stuff in their lives including getting the dinner on and being late back from work or whether or not to open another bottle of wine.;)

shimano

I resisted getting a laptop for ages but now couldn't do without it. It's my PC /MP3 player/DVD player combined. Need some P&Q to do something? just pick it up and wander off, I even get a signal at the bottom of the garden. If the missus is hogging the telly for soaps the laptop can be used for a spot of quiet surfing elsewhere.... Mind you I'm not as extreme as the bro/sis-in-law who communicate with each other between the kitchen and lounge via messenger!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Melvil said:
Bought a macbook (I'm not namedropping for the sake of it - the macbook is a tiny wee thing that's also rather sturdy so I can take it with me on hols etc) and not sure I could get a desktop now, even though they are more powerful for a given price etc.

Watching films on trains / surfing the web pretty much anywhere (once I was at girlfriend's granny's and needed to send an urgent email - granny had no computer so I took the macbook out to the town centre and quickly located a wifi network - email sent), tinkering with photos on the move. It's ace.

Now, if apple would bring out a decent game for the macbook.........here's wishing.

great aren't they ;)

Top Bottom