Armstrong to Ride 2009 Giro d'Italia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

Cycling News have it here while Gazzetta dello Sport is getting very excitable. There is a quote at their website saying, "I will give it the maximum, it won't be just to prepare for the Tour." Cycling News reckon, "His announcement of racing the Giro may be an indication that Armstrong's teammate, Alberto Contador, will be the protected rider in the Tour de France. The Tour de France is Contador's only objective for the season."

Personally this sounds almost too good to be true to me. I would love to see Armstrong adjusting his preparation for a different goal in the season, although I have only seen that quote about giving it his maximum in that one place. I wonder if he is really bothered about winning the Tour, then - if he was I doubt he would be riding the Giro for a classification place - unless he wants to join the list of double-winners. On the other hand, in the video at the Gazzetta site he says, "Who knows, maybe I can get a good result," which sounds a bit reserved, so maybe it will just be preparation for the Tour.

dodgy

Total surprise to me if it's true. Good on him.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If he was to bust a gut to win the Giro I think he'd win a few people over but I'm slightly sceptical that he'd do that 100% in preference to the TdF.

OP
OP
Skip Madness

Skip Madness

rich p said:
If he was to bust a gut to win the Giro I think he'd win a few people over but I'm slightly sceptical that he'd do that 100% in preference to the TdF.
Yes, this is my suspicion. But on the other hand, if he was aiming strictly for the Tour I wouldn't have expected him to ride the Giro at all, so it is a difficult decision to read.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I suppose we're all accepting that Astana have done their time and will be back at the TdF. If he's going to raise global awareness of this mysterious, hidden disease of cancer he'll need to be at the TdF for maximum publicity.

kennykool

Bloody hell...never expected this in a million years.

Could Lance be the first rider since Marco Pantani to win both Giro AND Tour in the same year.

Actually I reckon Contador is a good shout to win both Giro and Tour this year!!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
kennykool said:
Bloody hell...never expected this in a million years.

Could Lance be the first rider since Marco Pantani to win both Giro AND Tour in the same year.

Actually I reckon Contador is a good shout to win both Giro and Tour this year!!!

Dunno. Remind what Pantani was on?:thumbsdown:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
robbowatson said:
Cocaine wasn't it????

that was his recreational drug of choice I believe

mondobongo

Über Member
Just hoping he don't turn up to ride Paris-Roubaix or the Tour of Flanders now.

armstrong this armstrong that can see me watching the Giro and the Tour on mute.

YeS i Iz a hAtEr.

mondobongo said:
Just hoping he don't turn up to ride Paris-Roubaix or the Tour of Flanders now.

armstrong this armstrong that can see me watching the Giro and the Tour on mute.

YeS i Iz a hAtEr.
:becool:

Liggett and Sherwen are going to be falling over themselves to see who can be the most sycophantic...;)

Dave_1

Keith Oates said:
I hope he does go for the Giro and leaves Contador as the main man for the TdF, but in the back of my mind I have doubts this will happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree Keith, there's now way a guy with Armstrong's ability and massive ego will let the team revolve around Contador. He's even said he would not expect to be the leader unless he was the strongest...so if he rides a strong Giro ...then we will see his words get even more vague , open to interpretation. Only ASO will stop him. LA made Bruyneel the top DS, and so really AC has to just watch. I think LA will ride like Hinault in 86 against Lemond. LA has levels to drop before people can beat him-age may do that, but then his superior sense of tactics will help more than ever...if they are all equal LA will win cause he can read a race like nobody else

Top Bottom