At 61 am I too old to race as a pro?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I'm almost 62, it's almost bedtime

Posted at 2:30 in the afternoon.

I think you should go out there and do it. There are far too many young 20 odd year olds hogging all the places on the pro tour circuit. In this day and age I'm surprised there hasn't been any age discrimination law suits. It is about time someone of a certain age who has experience, grace and a certain aplomb whips their skinny backsides in a proper race with proper competitors.

For too long we have let them hold the reins and it's about time that proper competition is re-introduced, for too long they've had it too easy we need to teach them a proper lesson, let them know their time is over, they can no longer be complacent, the wrinklies are coming to get them.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Reactions: 2IT
OP
OP
2IT

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
I think you should go out there and do it. There are far too many young 20 odd year olds hogging all the places on the pro tour circuit. In this day and age I'm surprised there hasn't been any age discrimination law suits. It is about time someone of a certain age who has experience, grace and a certain aplomb whips their skinny backsides in a proper race with proper competitors.

For too long we have let them hold the reins and it's about time that proper competition is re-introduced, for too long they've had it too easy we need to teach them a proper lesson, let them know their time is over, they can no longer be complacent, the wrinklies are coming to get them.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Wow such encouragement. Thank you for your support and kind words.

Would rather not have to file an age discrimination suit. However, several assigned domestiques and a separate support car for those of us over 60 sounds reasonable though. Can probably get by with the team masseuse and whatever everyone else eats.

Maybe a professional team composed of racers over 60 would be the way to go. Would there be advantages to that approach?

Sponsors: pharmaceuticals, dating sites, retirement homes/villages? Names?

OP
OP
2IT

2IT

You seem to have the right attitude . Raving bonkers.

Here's a tip. Pick up a bike with a built in battery and if you get caught tell them its not yours but it looks just like yours and you made a mistake. Dont worry they will believe you.

Good luck in your new career choice.

Steve, an unexpected setback. What would you do this early in my career?

Security Breach Notification:

USAC membership data accessed

Dear William:

We learned two days ago of a data security incident within USA Cycling’s IT systems that could include some of your personal information associated with online accounts, including your name, mailing address, email address, date of birth, emergency contact, and your USA Cycling password. It does NOT include any drivers’ license or state ID numbers, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, Social Security numbers, or medical or health insurance information, as we do not store such information.

What we know of the incident is that a hacker gained access to at least some of our databases within the last two weeks. We have been in contact with the authorities, and have employed a leading cyber security expert to advise us in this matter. We believe we have now secured all our systems and face no further data security risks. We are notifying you as soon as we were able to assess the situation and secure our systems.

Well Steve, the roads aren't safe. Data is not safe. And it was a windy day. Would you put off working towards being a pro for another year and just put in base training?

Steve, an unexpected setback. What would you do this early in my career?

Security Breach Notification:

USAC membership data accessed

Dear William:

We learned two days ago of a data security incident within USA Cycling’s IT systems that could include some of your personal information associated with online accounts, including your name, mailing address, email address, date of birth, emergency contact, and your USA Cycling password. It does NOT include any drivers’ license or state ID numbers, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, Social Security numbers, or medical or health insurance information, as we do not store such information.

What we know of the incident is that a hacker gained access to at least some of our databases within the last two weeks. We have been in contact with the authorities, and have employed a leading cyber security expert to advise us in this matter. We believe we have now secured all our systems and face no further data security risks. We are notifying you as soon as we were able to assess the situation and secure our systems.

Well Steve, the roads aren't safe. Data is not safe. And it was a windy day. Would you put off working towards being a pro for another year and just put in base training?

I'd have another massage

OP
OP
2IT

2IT

I'd have another massage

Actually rode today - 31 miles solo with no support at 17mph over hills. This is hard going. Maybe this could be a laying down my base year. Then next year as a 62 year cyclist, get a pro license and try to build a team around me.

Top Bottom