At the age of 41 i've learned..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
At the age of 46, I have learned to mount my bike from behind (and frequently do).

I have yet to be caught doing so by the cleaners at the hostel where I live though.

Isn't it a strain on the bottom bracket when people put foot on the pedal & mount whilst moving (usually men)? I stay on ground (on the right hand side) & pull bike towards me & lift my leg over cross bar. Is that weird? When I rode a road bike I'd take my leg over the handlebars, as they were so low.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Paulus said:
At the age of 51 I have just learnt that some people think there is a wrong side??

But is the right side the right side or is it the wrong side in which case the left side is the right side and the right side is the wrong side... or am I just confused?

Brahan

Über Member
Mounting your bike from the wrong side? I never thought such a thing existed. I once taught myself to brush my teeth with my left hand. It took a while and I don't think I ever actually mastered it. There's a lot to be said for the rhythm your body adopts when you brush your teeth and when you swap hands it all goes wrong.......anyway.....I'm going to get on my bike from the left side for the rest of the week.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
For me the wrong side was the right side and the left side was the right side but with practice both left and right sides will be right.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It feels weird the first time but give it two or three goes and it starts to feel considerably less weird.

I felt unbalanced at first, I've noticed that when being held up at the start of a TT I dislike it if I'm leaning to the right of upright, I prefer a bit of leftward lean if anything. I guess this is because I'm used to mounting from the left and my brain knows that the starting effort will bring my upright immediately. Hopefully I'll train myself out of this by learning to mount from the right.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
at the age of 10 I discovered that I couldn't join the guides and so gave up my ambitions for their cycling badge and thus never needed to learn to mount either way.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've never mastered a 'flying' mount (I assume that's the scooting and leg over method...). I feel I should.

I was once approached by an old chap in town, as I extricated my Galaxy from a rack. "Is that your bike?" he asked. "yes" sez I. "Oh", he said, "but how do you...." and then he tailed off in confusion and embarrassment realising that he was about to say "get our leg over?" to a lady. "Like this!" I said, swung my leg over the saddle, and rode off.

I wondered afterwards, did he really think women were incapable of mounting like that? I was wearing trousers, after all...

ChrisKH

Guru
Arch said:
I've never mastered a 'flying' mount (I assume that's the scooting and leg over method...). I feel I should.

I was once approached by an old chap in town, as I extricated my Galaxy from a rack. "Is that your bike?" he asked. "yes" sez I. "Oh", he said, "but how do you...." and then he tailed off in confusion and embarrassment realising that he was about to say "get our leg over?" to a lady. "Like this!" I said, swung my leg over the saddle, and rode off.

I wondered afterwards, did he really think women were incapable of mounting like that? I was wearing trousers, after all...

Probably expected you to ride side saddle being a laydee and all.

Top Bottom