average time for 10 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
Angelfishsolo said:
I'm beginning to think that I am not advanced enough for this BEGINNERS group. Maybe an Admin could create a 'special needs' group where people such as myself can fit in. :eek:

+1

jimboalee

Following an apparently simple question, which doesn't have a simple answer, this thread has indeed progressed into something worthy of a category entitled "Cycling Principles, Mechanics and Theories". There is a "Know How" category, but not a "Reference Information" category.

Administrator. Can you create such a category and migrate this thread to there.

All others – Sorry.:eek:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
jimboalee said:
Following an apparently simple question, which doesn't have a simple answer, this thread has indeed progressed into something worthy of a category entitled "Cycling Principles, Mechanics and Theories". There is a "Know How" category, but not a "Reference Information" category.

Administrator. Can you create such a category and migrate this thread to there.

All others – Sorry.:biggrin:

Surely just a catagory entitled "Jimboalee" should do it. There you could post the gaggle of formula's you have stashed away for everyone's enjoyment. Still loving the one about the tin of paint as a guide for measuring chain wear. :eek::sad:

nigelb

I must admit, having read some of the posts here, as a beginner I was starting to wonder if I was "worthy" enough to be allowed a bike at all!

My fault, should have known that where there's a forum, there are always people who will tell you what you can do, what you can't do, and how inadequate you are.

Decided to say sod it, and go for a ride.

(and promised myself to use the forum strictly for finding answers to questions in future)

Nige
(now, how do I add someone to my ignore list ...)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Welcome Nigelb. Most of us here are not as you describe. To add a person to the ignore list enter Control Panels, click on edit ignore list and enter the user name. Happy cycling.

nigelb said:
I must admit, having read some of the posts here, as a beginner I was starting to wonder if I was "worthy" enough to be allowed a bike at all!

My fault, should have known that where there's a forum, there are always people who will tell you what you can do, what you can't do, and how inadequate you are.

(and promised myself to use the forum strictly for finding answers to questions in future)

Nige

Hi Chrisitalia, welcome aboard. I am a newbie [about three weeks ago] aged 61 and I have noticed that I am getting fitter with [I'm sure] every ride. Its like a bug that gets under the skin, I cannot wait to get on the bike. I only do short runs at the moment with my longest a cicular six miles but improving all the time. Dont worry about times and speeds as they will come I am sure

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1
jimbob said:
Hi Chrisitalia, welcome aboard. I am a newbie [about three weeks ago] aged 61 and I have noticed that I am getting fitter with [I'm sure] every ride. Its like a bug that gets under the skin, I cannot wait to get on the bike. I only do short runs at the moment with my longest a cicular six miles but improving all the time. Dont worry about times and speeds as they will come I am sure

zsadiq1

Takes me 50 minutes to do 10 miles (was 1 hour when I started) but it's a hilly route and I ride a mountain bike. My target is 40 minutes.

nigelb

Angelfishsolo said:
Welcome Nigelb. Most of us here are not as you describe.

Hi

Yes, I've found almost all very welcoming and friendly, and do appreciate the assistance and guidance.

Found a local route that's 4.5 miles, took me 21 mins today, if I ever get as far as 10 miles I'll let you know how long it took!

Finding the road surfaces round here a challenge, not many big potholes, but just generally very rough, causing loads of vibration (glad the saddle is now angled better, much more comfy!).

I guess if I can keep going for say an hour, then its time to find a local group and go for a ride with them - I'm keenly aware there's so much I don't know about cycling, and bikes, I'm bound to be doing loads wrong.

Nige

thomas

the tank engine
I usually cycle faster in a group. I went out on a nightride last week and the motivation of going faster to keep warm and the fact you're in a group meant we did an average of about 16mph over about 20 miles. I did feel that I could of gone a bit faster, but as I'm using my mountain bike at the moment that slows you down a bit.

By myself it depends. I don't actually have a speedo on this bike so I couldn't say for sure. Earlier I went out and I couldn't really be bothered so probably didn't average more than 12mph; if that.

When I was cycling to my old job, I did 15 miles in about 50 minutes to an hour and 10 minutes (I got fitter through the time of working; and weather/hang overs/etc dictated the rest of the speed). That was quite a hilly journy too (could hit 40mph+ going down hills there and back!). So 15/16mph average.

It depends on you!!

It all depends on you and your ability. Also it depends on what type of ride flat, hilly. What type of bike do you have?
I do 20 FLAT miles in an hour hills average about 1 hour 10 minutes!

I cycle into work doing 6.5 miles and average between 15 and 16 mph depending on weather and wind!

Downward

Guru
nigelb said:

Nige

Hi Yeah maybe this thread or some parts should be moved from Beginners to the Roads,Rides bit.

Goes a bit against what a "beginner" is.

soulful dog

Veteran
This thread makes me feel really, really slow! Took me an hour to do 11 miles today, and my regular 5 mile trip takes me 20-25 mins, which used to take me 30 when I first started doing it.

Top Bottom