average time for 10 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Don't forget to belittle those who can't snap their fingers and get doors opened for them; make ladies swoon with a single syllable and be able to fly a jet fighter a helicopter and drive a F1 car. All this if course is by the age of 21.

srw said:
Like you I am an arrogant git. I look down on people who only earn £100k - after all if I can manage something more, why can't they? I also encourage feelings of shame in people who got a mediocre 2:1 degree. Only an utter thicko would have failed to get a first. And as for people who can't speak five languages like a native and play the bassoon to professional standard - what have you been doing with your life?

Moose said:
I asked a friend of mine what a good time for a 10 should be and he says the benchmark is 20 minutes :tongue:

Pissed on my fireworks it did, I currently average 35 minutes for 10.75 miles

:ohmy:

Is that a commute or are you going for it. You ain't too far off a respectable 20mph ave. Which benchmark was your friend talking about, pro team time benchmark :angry:

Muddyboy

I’m with Jimboalee.

The short Audax rides are 100km. They are called Populaires. In French it means Everybody.
You have to do them faster than 9 mph, so you have to keep up a decent speed like 15 mph for feed stops and if you puncture.

The Audax Club Parisien reckon any cyclist should be able to ride a 100km faster than 9 mph average. 10 miles is well before the first control.

I do MTB. I'd go on a Audax 100 if I had a road bike.

Muddyboy said:
I’m with Jimboalee.

The short Audax rides are 100km. They are called Populaires. In French it means Everybody.
You have to do them faster than 9 mph, so you have to keep up a decent speed like 15 mph for feed stops and if you puncture.

The Audax Club Parisien reckon any cyclist should be able to ride a 100km faster than 9 mph average. 10 miles is well before the first control.

I do MTB. I'd go on a Audax 100 if I had a road bike.

Are you sure you're not Jimboalee :biggrin:

Moose

Crackle said:
Is that a commute or are you going for it. You ain't too far off a respectable 20mph ave. Which benchmark was your friend talking about, pro team time benchmark :biggrin:

My time is a pretty fast commute - best is just under 33 minutes, average speed of 19.2mph (ish). On the way back, my best time is 36 minutes.

My friend is indeed a Time Trialist but not a pro, just pretty fast.

jimboalee

Really short Audax rides, and there are some 50k events, have a min speed of 10kmh, which is 6.25 mph.

AUK appreciate that there are some cyclists who will have difficulty getting to the first control at 15 mph, the speed at which experienced riders can achieve.

But having said this, the OP asked for an 'average' time for a 10 miler.
Hence my calcs giving 40 mins.
There have been times suggested that I would classify as 'well above average'. The guy who suggested 20 minutes - I don’t know what he was thinking. Maybe a mountain highway he’s ridden down.

Below average, and I’m NOT trying to sound arrogant, because that’s what raw newbies will be, might be 50 mins to an hour. This is about what my untrained 12 year old son can do on his hardtail MTB. He rides 8 miles in 40 to 45 minutes; and he would be able to ride the extra 2 miles comfortably.

Sorry for sounding arrogant. It was my interpretation of ‘Average’ which led to the 40 minute suggestion.

Here is the OP’s opening post:-

“hi all this is my first post on CC as im just begining cycling. i just wondered if anyone could tell me the average time for a 10 mile cycle just so i can gauge how well, or otherwise i am progressing?? any other distance / times welcome also! thanks all!!”

The way I read that question was “In what time does the average cyclist ride 10 miles. I am new and I want to judge myself against it”

snorri

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
The way I read that question was “In what time does the average cyclist ride 10 miles. I am new and I want to judge myself against it”[/FONT][/COLOR]

I would respectfully suggest you have quoted figures for the time taken by the average sporting cyclist which will be considerably less than the time taken by the average cyclist.
;)

Hey, this could run longer than a helmet thread.:biggrin:

Moose

jimboalee said:
.......There have been times suggested that I would classify as 'well above average'. The guy who suggested 20 minutes - I don’t know what he was thinking. Maybe a mountain highway he’s ridden down......

If you re-read what I said, I didn't suggest that it was an average time, in fact I was making a point that what would be a 'benchmark' time for one person could be completely different for another. Therefore an 'average' time would also be subjective.

Again, using my commute as an example, my average time on the way is about 35 minutes whereas on the way back is more like 38 minutes that's a 3 minute difference for the same distance, by the same person, on the same bike. The differences may be slight, but enough to notice (prevailing head wind and slight overall ascent on the way back).

Surely the route will dictate what a good average time for 10 miles would be?

jimboalee

It probably will run longer than a helmet thread, because as I've described on an earlier post, The 'D', yes D ride, and that's what the BCF consider AVERAGE, rides at a 15 mph average speed.

Above average - CAT 1, 2 and 3 ---- 17 - 18 mph

Below average - Casual non club members - 10 - 12 mph, as in the 'Solihull Spinners' ride for Nervous and Novice cyclists.

If the Original Poster had asked for a BELOW AVERAGE speed, I would have said 10 - 12 mph.

Quite finished?

ACS

Legendary Member
Average cyclist? What is an average cyclist?' Sorry I may have missed something or just being thick. When I was 26, training twice a day, with sub 1 hour, 25 and 50 at 2h 4 mins I was considered 'average' by fellow clubmen. I am now 50 years of age and I can just about make 50 miles without having to stop for tea and cake and I consider myself to be an average cyclist.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It sounds as though to be classed as average you must at least belong to a club. :rolleyes: The OP is new to cycling and thus one could possibly assume is not a club member and therefore would define average in a different way. Maybe average was a bad choice of words but everyone else has replied with sensible answers. I get the feeling that jimboalee is being a pedant. To what end I have no idea other than to make others here feel less than adequate.

satans budgie said:
Average cyclist? What is an average cyclist?' Sorry I may have missed something or just being thick. When I was 26, training twice a day, with sub 1 hour, 25 and 50 at 2h 4 mins I was considered 'average' by fellow clubmen. I am now 50 years of age and I can just about make 50 miles without having to stop for tea and cake and I consider myself to be an average cyclist.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Angelfishsolo said:
It sounds as though to be classed as average you must at least belong to a club. :rolleyes: The OP is new to cycling and thus one could possibly assume is not a club member and therefore would define average in a different way. Maybe average was a bad choice of words but everyone else has replied with sensible answers. I get the feeling that jimboalee is being a pedant. To what end I have no idea other than to make others here feel less than adequate.

I think the idea of the average being a club cyclist is silly, if they are quick from the start they may become one quickly if that's what they want out of cycling. Anyway average or beginner, whichever way you want to phrase it they aren't going to be at their best from the start and slowly along the process of improvement, from whatever level. So I don't know why jimboalee and some of the others seem unable to count below 15mph and then on the other hand start talking about audaxes and 9 and 6mph.

ACS

Legendary Member
Angelfishsolo said:

Not being very eloquent I was trying in my limited way to say that average is subjective opinion and dependent on a vast amount of variables. Therefore it is impossible to state what an average time for an average cyclist is.

A benchmark could be 10 miles in 30 minutes but a fit clubman may sneer at this as being slow.

Not very good at this and I am standing by to be shot down in flames.

jimboalee

I can see we all have different perceptions of what 'average' is. I think the only logical conclusion to this situation is to agree to disagree.

Top Bottom