AVG Resident Shield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Since I reinstalled Vista and AVG security I have found that AVG's Resident Shield is running for days at a time slowing the system down. I have disabled it to be able to post this in real time.

What is it doing? If it useful? Why does it run for so long? Should I switch it back on again?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You on 8.0 or 8.5? 8.0 had a lot of problems.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Gooch said:
Hii Nightrain. If you don't mind me asking, why do you need to run AVG Security anyway?

If you are running Vista it already has Windows Defender built in. Also if you have the firewall on your PC or router and a basic free Anti virus you would be covering all bases anyway.

Linky for free AVG Anti virus below.

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-V...l-10044820&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=11014801
I used to have AVG free anti-virus and it updated and updated and updated.
At my last reinstall of Vista I simply reinstalled my last version of AVG as it stood.

If it is covered by Windows defender and firewall then presumably I am ok to leave the resident shield off then.

Gooch

As long as you have the firewall running on either your PC or the router you will be fine. That will cover any attempted security breaches. As for spyware problems Windows Defender runs in the background and will prompt you to update if neccessary. AVG free version can be a pain in the butt sometime when updating but it does the job fine. I'm not really sure what extra's you get with AVG Security but I'm quite confident that you would be ok without it. I've been building, installing, repairing and updating PC's for years and know only too well that software companies love to scare the crap out of us by telling us that our PC and all its data will be at risk if we don't install their software.

I hope this helps...

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thanks for that Gooch, that sets my mind at ease.

thomas

the tank engine
Night Train said:
I used to have AVG free anti-virus and it updated and updated and updated.
At my last reinstall of Vista I simply reinstalled my last version of AVG as it stood.

If it is covered by Windows defender and firewall then presumably I am ok to leave the resident shield off then.

I'd be tempted to leave the AVG protector on as well. The Microsoft thing should be okay, but I wouldn't want to solely rely on anything 'extra' they supply.

I'd try reinstalling AVG and then cut down vista's graphics stuff. All the pretty menus and things use a lot of resources.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I've already cut down all of Vista to as near classic as practical so it only uses 1-2% of the processor at most. The sidebar alone used 60% of the processor just to sit on the desktop telling me the time and the current weather! It was the first to go.

The problem with the AVG resident sheild was that it ran at 90-100% processor for a couple of days at a time and I couldn't tell what it was actually doing.

Top Bottom