Bar bags with drop bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ootini

Hey

I've managed to test fit all my touring stuff to my bike; 2 rear pannier bags, plus drybag on top of the rack and it all fits fine, however, the weight distribution is way off, it's all on the back wheel. So I've been thinking about trying to move some weight forward, I can't use front panniers as my bike has carbon forks, so I guess that leaves a bar bag. I like the look of the dry bag style bags, like the Apidura and the AlpKit airloks, however I'm wondering will they cause issues with the fact that I'm using drop bars with Tiagra STIs. I'm thinking will it affect the STI swing during gear changes?? Also, with the fact the Tiagra STI cables pop out of the side of the shifter, as opposed to internal routing like 105s, will the cables get in the way etc? Anyone got any experience of large-ish bar bags on a road bike?

Thanks

snorri

Legendary Member
My first "real" cycle tour (two weeks in ROI) was on a road bike, it was also my last tour on a road bike as I realised it was simply not up to the job. Frame flexing under the load, uncomfortable, tyres unsuitable for the rough conditions inevitably experienced on tours. It seemed to make little sense to me to attempt to modify the bike for a purpose for which it was never designed so I traded it in for a tourer and have never regretted it.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

My first "real" cycle tour (two weeks in ROI) was on a road bike, it was also my last tour on a road bike as I realised it was simply not up to the job. Frame flexing under the load, uncomfortable, tyres unsuitable for the rough conditions inevitably experienced on tours. It seemed to make little sense to me to attempt to modify the bike for a purpose for which it was never designed so I traded it in for a tourer and have never regretted it.

Fair point, but my own tours will be no where near 2 weeks. I think max will be 3-4 days. Also, I only stated road bike, as I meant road bike bars (drops). It's actually a Ridley CX bike so a pretty touch ally frame, apart from the front carbon forks. If I get in to touring and want to do longer, tougher jaunts then I will definitely look at getting a dedicated touring bike as you suggest. Out of curiosity, does your touring bike have drop bars or flats? I'm mainly concerned with the space between the drops and ability to swing an STI shifter being compromised by a bulky bag.

snorri

Legendary Member
. Out of curiosity, does your touring bike have drop bars or flats? I'm mainly concerned with the space between the drops and ability to swing an STI shifter being compromised by a bulky bag.
Butterfly bars.
Thinking back, I actually went from road bike to a hybrid with straight bars which proved more suitable for my needs of touring and utility cycling. Then I went on to a Dawes Galaxy which I had fitted with butterfly bars from the start. I had noticed when touring in mainland Europe that drop bars were not used by tourists who favoured straight bars or butterflies, so I just followed the trend.
I think it likely that straight bars are a better bet for avoiding problems of gear and brake cables interfering with bar bags, but I did manage the bar bag and butterfly combination!

I think your biggest problem will be the cables sticking out rather than room to flick the levers. I've seen pictures of people having using v-brake noodles to alter the cable run out of the shifters.

I use Carradice bar bag with Rixen and Kaul Klickfix and Tiagra shifters.
Wide bars/narrow bag work better than visa versa.
Long cables are required to route them around the bag. Campagnolo style cable routing along the bars is preferable. Some people re-route cables using V-brake noodles.
Rixen and Kaul Klickfix has an extended mount option for more bar clearance.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Just had an extender fitted on my touring bike to keep my Ortlieb bar bag clear of my suicide brakes. Works brilliantly.

20150426_162158.jpg

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
That's an interesting fix.

I used a Carradice Carradura Bar bag in Wales last month. The shifter cables fitted round the front of the bag ok, but shifting to a larger chainring took some effort as the bag fouled the end of the swing on the lever. An other option may be to get a bike-packing bag for the front.
20150313_132715.jpg

I've also used a tiny 2 litre bar bag on the front before which fitted easily inside the cables and shifters: -
DSCF1161.JPG

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Having had a good look and fettle last night, I have come to the opinion I have no hope of getting a bar bag on my bike without some serious rerouting of the cables.

Top Bottom