Mounting bottle cages on carbon forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ootini

Has anyone managed to do this?

Again, I'm just trying to shift a little weight forward on the bike and was considering trying the following:
Slipping a length of cut inner tube over the front forks to protect them and add a little grip. Then using a pair of decent cable ties attaching a bottle cage to each side. I could either use them to hold the actual water bottles, or using velcro straps I could use them to hold the little dry bags containing tent fly etc.

I'm just not sure about how stable it would be or whether it could damage the forks themselves.

Do it.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

I've just had a bloody brainwave! Picture this, A length of inner tube up the fork to protect it, then take a piece of thick garden netting, the type of stuff you let a clematis grow up, cut to about 8" x 4". Cable tie that centrally over the piece of inner tube on the fork. Then I can slot a dry bag up against it, use a couple of straps to hold it on, a small cable at the bottom of the netting to act as a floor. This is brilliant, super lightweight, super cheap and might actually work!

This sort of stuff
boddingtons_01.jpg

And when I'm not touring I can either roll it up and cable tie it all closed, or just clip the cable ties and take it off altogether. Proper bodge!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

Well using Cable ties I managed to get a bottle cage on one side of the forks pretty securely. It was only a cheap flimsy cage and I wouldn't want to put much weight in it, but it proved the point. I'll pop some pics up later. I'm now thinking of another go but using something like a gorilla cage or salsa anything cage. My only concern now, is that the forks curve slightly, so on a small cage it was fine keeping the spine tight up against the fork. On a longer spined cage maybe not so easy. I'll have a go.

Your handlebar bag's solution lies here: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories.html

My experience with heavy handlebar bags is poor. I've had ToPeak, BackPacker and others and all of them rely on a fitting that clamps around the handlebar. One bump and the clamp turns, with the bag either dragging on the front wheel or if they thought about that, hanging off a safely cable (Topeak). It requires a proper rack that rests on the brake bolt or similar.

I'm still searching for that soft vertical pannier that fits on a fork blade. However, you're halfway there. Nothing stops you from putting stuff on the fork.

Top Bottom