BB sizing help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
Cheers il order one and the next size up from crc or wiggle and return the other thanks for help ( is it wiggle that do free returns btw

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
You can ask him.

FWIW I suspect* the chainset is a knock-off of a Sugino Messenger. If so 103mm JIS would likely deliver a 45mm chainline. What you might want to know though is that typical fixie/ss chainline is usually 42mm if the dropout distance is 120mm, but you will find it hard/impossible to get a JIS bb shorter than 103mm. In fact Shimano don't make any shorter than 107mm.

* why possibly a knock-off you might ask? I think so because I saw new ones being sold just over a year ago, and they also look just like these, and I have never seen real Sugino with that emblem or being sold so cheap (around £20 brand new iirc). Also the seller didn't have a clue what bb the chainset needs when I asked, and has since "left" ebay...

Citius

You can ask him.

FWIW I suspect* the chainset is a knock-off of a Sugino Messenger. If so 103mm JIS would likely deliver a 45mm chainline. What you might want to know though is that typical fixie/ss chainline is usually 42mm if the dropout distance is 120mm, but you will find it hard/impossible to get a JIS bb shorter than 103mm. In fact Shimano don't make any shorter than 107mm.

* why possibly a knock-off you might ask? I think so because I saw new ones being sold just over a year ago, and they also look just like these, and I have never seen real Sugino with that emblem or being sold so cheap (around £20 brand new iirc). Also the seller didn't have a clue what bb the chainset needs when I asked, and has since "left" ebay...

I think you could be on to something there. Sugino stuff is rarely that cheap, even used.

Tim Hall

What you might want to know though is that typical fixie/ss chainline is usually 42mm if the dropout distance is 120mm, but you will find it hard/impossible to get a JIS bb shorter than 103mm.
Surely chain line is the distance from the centre of the hub to the centre of the sprocket. I can't see how dropout width can affect this.

Citius

Surely chain line is the distance from the centre of the hub to the centre of the sprocket. I can't see how dropout width can affect this.

Chainline is the line the chain takes from front to rear sprockets. Drop out width will be a factor, because it will affect hub choice, which will affect chain line.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

Chainline is the line the chain takes from front to rear sprockets. Drop out width will be a factor, because it will affect hub choice, which will affect chain line.
I was thinking from the point of view of having the same wheel. For example,a wheel that is 120mm OLN has a sprocket screwed on giving a chainline of 42mm. ie the distance from the centre of the hub to the centre of the sprocket is 42mm. But I want to use it on a bike with 130mm OLN. So I add a 5mm spacer to each side, bringing the OLN up to 130mm. The distance from the centre of the hub to the centre line of the sprocket is still 42mm.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member

I don't believe you found me saying that the dropout width of a hub affects the rear chainline. I think you read something I did not write.

What I suggested was that if a single ring chainset requires a 103mm JIS bb to deliver a 45mm front chainline (which some of these Sugino's do), then one needs to do something about the "typical" rear chainline of c42mm of fixie/ss with 120mm dropout, for the simple reason that you won't find a JIS bb shorter than 103mm to shorten the front chainline by 3mm.

Thinking about it, if one must a 102mm ISO from Campag might* do it, given a JIS chainset should go inboard another 2.2mm on an ISO taper.

* assuming various symmetry / asymmetry / tolerance / clash chances all turn out favourable...

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
Iv found an old bb from a bike I stripped ages ago ( I cant even remember which bike, ).it's an old type but the bearings are caged , its 107 mm so I'm gona try it and see if it lines up , if not at least it gives me a starting point.

Can u use Vaseline in place of grease? Iv no grease but Iv got a jar of Vaseline in the bathroom

Citius

Iv found an old bb from a bike I stripped ages ago ( I cant even remember which bike, ).it's an old type but the bearings are caged , its 107 mm so I'm gona try it and see if it lines up , if not at least it gives me a starting point.

Can u use Vaseline in place of grease? Iv no grease but Iv got a jar of Vaseline in the bathroom

Is your BB JIS or ISO taper? If the taper is ISO, then not only is it 4mm wider than it (possibly) should be to start with - but the difference in taper will probably add another 4mm on top of that. So your chainline could potentially be up to 8mm wider than it should be - which would give you alignment problems with the rear.

Citius

No idea which it is , how du tell? JIS ,,, ISO ,,,, eh??? I just thought a square taper is the standard

Unfortunately not so simple - things rarely are.. There are two square taper standards - JIS and ISO. Both are interchangeable in the sense that JIS chainsets will fit on ISO BBs and vice-versa, but the taper angle is different, meaning that (for instance) a JIS chainset will sit on an ISO BB about 4mm further out than it should do, than if it was a ISO chainset - if you see what I mean...

Not always an issue - but for a single speed chainline, it might be.

Top Bottom