BBC Sports Personality of the Year (SPOTY) 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Wait until after the US Open. If Murray wins that, who could eclipse his achievements this year? Wimbledon, Davis Cup, Olympics then the US?
Murray has already won it twice so doubt he'll get it again.

And I know he's a national treasure and everything but questions have been asked about Mo Farah and SPOTY should be without doubt.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Difficult to see past Trott, Kenny, Murray, Whitlock, Farah, Froome, Peaty, Brownlee (can't remember which one), Lewis and Adams, unless you want to go for the more romantic stories of Skelton, Laugher and Mears (Torville and Dean won it, both as a person and as a team) or Cavendish.

I'm sure that there are many other worthy candidates, but it seems as though you have to be a multiple World/Olympic champion to even be considered this year.

The one I can't think about is the Team. A few months ago I would have said Leicester City, who have invented the term "Doing a Leicester City." However, since then, both the Olympics Team in general and the Ladies Hockey Team have Done a Leicester City".

Although, to be honest, if John Terry doesn't get it again this year (nor Chelsea) it will be a travesty.

martint235

Dog on a bike
What questions?
Association with a dodgy doctor and also "
Olympic gold medalist Mo Farah has admitted he's taken a drug that contains substances currently banned by the world athletics doping chiefs.

In June this year Mo, 32, was forced to deny accusations of drug taking after hiscoach Alberto Salazar was alleged to have violated anti-doping rules in 2002.

But in a new TV admission, long distance runner Mo reveales he tried a Class C drug in Somalia, a leafy plant called Khat or Qaat, that acts as a stimulant when chewed.

Mo took the drug in August 2003, five months before khat ingredients cathine (over 5mg in urine) and Cathinone were prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) when athletes are “in competition”."

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm going with Laura.
Laura-Trott-She-Is-Double-Olympic-Gold-Medallist-2.jpg
She's the winner.

stephec

Legendary Member
He has a personality. Just the backlash from your humourless press when he made a joke about not supporting England 10 years ago put paid to him showing it. Dry wit clearly too clever for you
I thought it was funny when he came out with that, I can't see why it upset anyone. :smile:

Top Bottom