Beckham admits on national TV....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
buggi said:
i must be one of the very few women who would tell a premiership footballer where to stick his wallet and his ego (and it wouldn't be any one of my orifices!)

Very glad to hear that, buggi! :blush:

IIRC, Beckham has been 'measured/recorded' as running about 10 km a match with Sky Sport's 'distometer' (my word)!

Rob S

When compared to the exploits of many of the Olympians then Beckham (and his colleagues) is not an athlete...he's a performance artist that needs a lot of fitness to be able to be in a position to score goals or defend for the full duration of a game...and through a combination of skill and luck he may be in a position to come back on the winning side.

Mr Pig

Rob S said:
When compared to the exploits of many of the Olympians then Beckham is not an athlete.

I don't agree. There are a lot of Olympians who do very short-duration, muscle-specific sports that don't require anything like the same level of general fitness as a football player.

And then below them you've got sports like curling! Which is not a sport at all, but a game.

Rob S

Mr Pig said:
I don't agree. There are a lot of Olympians who do very short-duration, muscle-specific sports that don't require anything like the same level of general fitness as a football player.

And then below them you've got sports like curling! Which is not a sport at all, but a game.

That's why I said 'many of them'.

I apply the label 'athlete' to people that participate in events that solely require you to propel yourself or a thing faster, further, higher than the other competitiors to win...a swimmer, a cyclist, a rower, a speed skater, a runner, a weightlifter, a discus thrower etc...rather than skill to put something somewhere specific even if the event is drawn out over 90 minutes...a footballer, an archer, a snooker player, a golfer, a cricketer etc.

Mr Pig said:
Non-synchronised drowning would do.

Strange comment from a devout 'Christian'! :biggrin:

mondobongo

Über Member
Ok so he is not the sharpest knife in the block, he's a highly regarded footballer who gets paid the going rate for the role. I have never seen him throw a strop or heard of him partaking in drink and drug fueled bender, I see him as a positive role model and you can't take away the fact that he is always pleased to represent his country and comes across as proud to do so.

To touch on Paulus's other point I don't think we are going to cock the Olympics up, there were some rather neat touches to our 8 minutes. It won't be comparable to Beijing but I believe it will stand up in its own unique way probably a little crumpled in a very British way.

snorri

Legendary Member
mr Mag00 said:
why does the bbc licence fee contribute to the wages?
I understand various companies including the BBC bid for the rights to televise football matches. There is a great deal of football on BBC tv and radio, so BBC must be shelling out a lot of its licence payers money into the football industry some of which will go towards paying wages.

Top Bottom